Music from HDD

Mr. RF62

Western Digital WD-TV and its' ilk (collectively known as "media servers") have USB connections for a local external hard disk. The WD-TV Live has a network connection so you can stream files off of a home server... The GUI is better on the Live than the older WD-TV.

The Live will cost you about $120USD with no storage, the older WD-TV about $50.

--Edit: They both have HDMI outputs, which will be typical of media servers, and the Live has HD component output also. You can use a TV or HDTV as a display, or a DVI LCD computer monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable (not included.)

Thanks for the reply jt, that sound like more than I'm looking for. I don't need it to hook up to a monitor even, just have a scrolling display on the box, similar to a receiver. I have a receiver, but I can't unhook it everytime I want to move around. If I could only cut the part out of the receiver that does what I want, it would work.

I think you're going to find that pretty much all standalone media players nowadays need an external display: Simple local displays seem to be going by the wayside because its' just too much work to get a compelling and useful GUI on that small a screen, and the market is demanding a video device with pictures and audio as an afterthought.

There WAS a pretty spiffy home media player, now obsolete, which I believe had a voice prompting user interface: PhatBox Home Media Player.

I have the VW Phatbox in my car and love it... the voice reader is a great way to keep your eyes on the road.

Perhaps some of the new hardware portable media players can be docked and work with a remote control? (I'm thinking Zune rather than iPod.)

There are definately options in the 'docked portable' line of thought: Zune is capable of docking with remote control and 120GB storage.

There also appears to be some specialty high-end devices with built in CD players / ripping... Think CD player with an internal hard disk and enough operating system to play ripped and stored files.

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/hdx.html