crossover point for k-horn bass horn

john103937

I found a Klipsch brochure from the 1960 period. When talking about the K-horn bass horn crossover point, the brochure said "due to the short radii bends, the bass horn will propogate wavelengths as short as 18 inches corresponding to 750 Hz". Does this mean you could take a stock Klipschorn, reset the crossover to say 650 Hz and it would still work with no noticable

drop in the frequency response at that point? The reason I'm curious about this is because I was wondering if it would be possible to put a TAD TD-4001 driver and TH-4001 horn on a Klipsch bass horn? TAD says that driver is designed to be crossed at 650 Hz.

Has anyone out there actually tried to do this? Does anyone know if Mr. Klipsch ever experimented with a sort of ULTIMATE Klipschorn using the best drivers available regadless of cost?

By the way, this 1960s brochure lists three different models of the Klipschorn ( D, C & B ). However, when I see a price listed for k-horns now, there is only one price given. Is there now only one model of the Klipschorn?

103937---I've always been under the impression that the KHorn bassbin starts dropping off at 400hz and that this was the reason he used a 400hz crossover and had to make 3-ways with phenolic diaphragm mid drivers. Bruce Edgar has experimented with the KHorn and has shown such a response. The whole idea behind PWK's and DelGado's work on the new Jubilee was to push the cornerhorn's response up to 800hz so they could make a 2-way, the Jubilee uses a 2" throat B&C compression driver. A couple of people I know are taking the TAD 4001 much lower than 650hz, Bruce Edgar crosses it at 500hz and Mike Bates takes them down to around 350hz. You need a horn that loads that low of course. I think TAD encourages conservative use of their drivers because of the ruinous expense of replacement diaphragms.

I think that originally the bass horn was crossed at 500hz. This is evidenced by the early networks....the K-500-5000. My '54's have this and came with the curved fiberglass/wood 500hz mid horn, as does the '54 single that is currently on e-bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1340886023 I replaced my fiberglass/wood horns successfully with Altec 511B's. Same size, same properties, excellent sound dispersion, won't clack, won't delam. Just putty the bejesus out of 'em.

I believe that they went to the 400hz straight horn in the early '60's. Have the data somewhere, but I'm lazy today.

------------------

Ed