Klipsch Custom 2 earbuds keep breaking

crewkip

I am now on my third pair of the custom 2 earbuds. The previous two pairs had one driver die. I suspect this is a product of using them at the gym and the mosture they are exposed to. I used Comply eartips with the filter on the second pair and they still died.

I love the sound and the pseudo noise cancelling effects but more than anything I LOVE the fit. They actually stay in my ear while working out.

Is anyone else having this issue? I am getting really tired of going two weeks without the headphones and paying for returning shipping to get a new pair.

Any suggestions on earbuds that are similar to these in terms of fit, sound quality, and noise cancelling that would be more appropriate for the gym?

Thanks!

Do you think it's moisture getting into the driver, or is it possible that the cable is getting damaged from flexing several times?

All cables will eventually fail when flexed back and forth, and the problem usually shows up where the cable goes into the connectors or the earbuds because you've got a larger rigid mass that causes any cable movement to flex more sharply at the joint.

The only reason I ask is because it sounds like this is happening frequently and I would be a bit surprised if corrosion from moisture would act that quickly?

Last pair worked for about 3 weeks. I don't think it is the cable at all. It seems to only occur when I am sweating. My theory is the driver gets wet. I have never had this problem before with earbuds at the gym. Klipsch return service has not commented on why the problem keeps happening.

Sometimes it will stop working, but the following day it will function again like nothing every happened.

I really do love these headphones but I need something that will last more than a few weeks at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Insteresting.

I've been using a pair of S4s at the gym for the past few weeks now and, so far, not a single problem yet. Actually quite impressed at how good these thing sound! I've taken my Custom-3s to the gym in the past, but just didn't feel comfortable about using a $300 pair of headphones while working out.

I was told that these things are supposed to be able to stand up to the typical use and abuse of the gym, so have no idea why you seem to be having so much problem with them. You must be really sweating a lot and just getting them soaked in it. Well, at least with the S4s, they are holding up for me. We shall see after getting a few months on them. The S4s are a replacement to a pair of Sony headphones that I was using regularly at the gym, which did eventually die, both from a combination of sweat and all those years of taking them out and putting them in finally killed one side (internal connection probably finally corroded through and broke is my guess - may try to take them apart and see - they were pretty cheap, but decent headphones, but the S4s are so much better).

Maybe save the Custom-2s for non-gym use and look into getting a pair of S2s or S4s (if you willing to spend the extra) for use at the gym instead.

Klipsch has offered to replace them with a pair of Custom 3's. They offered the x10's at first but those don't look gym friendly at all. Guess I will try the custom 3 but I doubt they will last much longer than the custom 2.

This last pair didn't die at the gym; I was sitting in a library. Very odd indeed.

Very interesting - I've had the exact same problem with my custom 2's. Just curious - who did you contact that agreed to replace them? I would simply like to know if they could be repaired. It's frustrating to have to listen to them with only one side working.