Cornwall II - Tweeters Disconnected !

This is one of those good news/bad news deals ... Reading through this BB over recent months, I decided to try the rope caulk over the horn throats mod that a few people have suggested. Having just acquired my Cornwall II's over Ebay around Thanksgiving, I had listened to them enough to really "know" their sound ... which is wonderful, to say the last.

This morning I took the back off the first one, and poked around inside, only to discover, to my chagrin, that the tweeter lead was carefully wrapped around the throat of the tweeter, i.e., just like it would have gone onto it in the assembly process. I thought it was odd since I'm the third owner of these, so I concluded that someone had diddled back here after purchasing them and forgot to reconnect it.

Being sequential SN#'s (8515749 & 8515750), I thought I'd check the second one as well; had to open it anyway to do the mod ... and low and behold, that one was found exactly as the first, i.e., nicely coiled around the tweeter. So I hooked it up as well.

I have fired these up, but I am glad to have found the problem. The amazing thing to me is that they sounded so good even without the tweeter. I'm looking forward to listening to them as a "complete" set.

If they were in fact shipped from Hope that way, I don't know how they got past the watchful eyes and ears of Claudine Teague who inspected the speakers, and Robby Tefteller who tested them. They both signed the stickers on the backs.

Anybody have any ideas?

While I've got these open, I just want to check again that there are not any ALK cross-overs available for the CW II's yet?

The backs don't come off Cornwall IIs.I imagine you have a Cornwall 1&2/3 with the K77M/K52H/33E The 1980 Cornwall had K77M/K55V/K33E The Cornwall 1&1/3 had K77M/K51V/K33E The Cornwall II had K79K/K57/K34E with a non-removable back.Of course there were four networks and three mid horns too. Earlier models were different too.I guess that the wire from your tweeter is white zip cord with spade lugs at the network end and soldered to the tweeter.On axis the K52H started to gently roll off above 3.5Khz and went up to 15Khz and conked out.Klipsch actually sold some PA models with no tweeter using this driver.I would guess that an earlier owner with an ear-bleeder amp or CD player disconnected them.

DJK, good call! You really know your stuff. After reading your post, I double-checked and I've got a K-77/52H/33E combo with a Type B-3 crossover network. I guess I just assumed they were CW II's based on their date of manufacture. The Belgian Audio site indicated that the CW II's kicked in 1984 or thereabouts. Thanks for helping me with this.

I guess I need to go back and see if the ALK cross-over could be used then.

JCTurboT, hi neighbor! Don't see many posts from Fitchburg ... (let alone Lancaster smile.gif ) This is not the end of the world, but you can see it from here smile.gif

Yeah, I got the p/n's off the tweeter and woofer and cross-over, but the midrange was a little smudged. But based on DJK's input, I think we have this one nailed down.

What's your Klipsch set-up?

Chris,

Yes,indeed we are close neighbors!I have talked to a couple MA people on this site (Mark Hardy in Harvard being one)

Are you sure about your mid being a K52H?Being a 1985 production Cornwall it should be a K57K.The earlier models had the K52H and the later models K55 followed by the K57K which is the plastic swaker used in the Cornwall II.

My 1984 Cornwalls use the K57K but it is mounted from the inside not the outside like the IIs.

For the full scoop on my rig see "New Cornwall owner part 1" under 2 channel audio.

On another note you say you bought your Cornwalls from e-bay...what did you pay for shipping & handling cost?

JC, I think you are right about the K57K; it IS plastic and as djk mentioned above, these speakers have backs to them so they are definitely the I's ...

I've been looking for Heritage series speakers for over a year, but the Cornwalls are so big, you really don't want the risk and expense of shipping them from out of the region; I finally found a pair on Ebay, being offered out of a pawn shop in Syracuse, which was within driving distance. They got bid up pretty high because not many of the Horns, Cornwalls and LaScala's are available in the northeast (tons in CO and CA). Paid $1,100 for them; they're in pretty good condition, but not showroom for sure. They sound great though.

There's a nice pair available on Ebay now ... auction closes on Tuesday pm. Emailed the owner who indicated that they are 9.5/10 and in showroom condition. So if you know of anybody in our area that's looking for a pair, tip them off ... I'm not bidding on them, but was interested just for my own general curiosity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1217362712

I'll hit your other thread that you mentioned. I just finished a re-build of my system, something I've wanted to do for about twenty years but never had the cash. Actually, it turned out quite well and wasn't hideously expensive. Here's what I'm running ...

Denon AVR-3800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD player

McIntosh MC-2015 (Denon pre-out for fronts)

Klipsch KT-LCR THX center

Klipsch Cornwall (LF/RF)

Klipsch Heresy I (LS/RS)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Found the Heresy's on Ebay on Long Island; nice pair of oiled oaks, and those are VERY clean.

Cheers.

Chris,

It appears that the Cornwall II started life around mid-1986 so if your speaker backs are removable they are definately the Cornwall 1s.

I had e-mailed the gentleman in Connecticut also about these(always looking for a good deal!)and these are the model IIs if anyone is interested.

I would like to hear how your system sounds with the McIntosh as I have heard nothing but good things about Mac.

Jeff

Jeff, just curious what our CT friend is asking for those CW II's ... I'm not in the buying mode, but last I checked, the reserve still wasn't satisfied, so I'm figuring at least a grand?

The Mac sounds great. Actually inherited the unit from my material grandfather who loved Macs ... just rescued it from my uncle's basement after 15 years in storage. It is a WONDERFUL combination with the CW's; absolutely effortless power (< 2W power consumption when cranked), and great color to the sound. Only thing I'd suggest is come on over with some of your favorite recordings and listen! Email me at robinsonc@mediaone.net and I'll give you my phone number and directions.

Looks like the weather's gonna be bad for a few days but I'll be home if you can get out. My wife and son are in AZ right now visiting relatives (she's jealous that she's missing this big "historical" (or should I say "hysterical") nor-easter smile.gif

Chris,

Thanks for the invite!I just might take you up on your offer if I can sneak out of the house(gotta sneak away from my newborn & wife).

Not sure what that gentleman wants for those Cornwalls he didn't say in his e-mail.If they don't meet reserve I'll ask him.

Can you believe this weather??!!Just when it starts to feel like spring we might get dumped with up to 40-yes 40" of snow...only in New England.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

My 1972 Cornwall II is clearly labeled Cornwall II. The back can be removed, but I haven't had it off for almost 30 years. S/N 2K392.

I waited over six weeks to get it after I ordered it new. I could barely afford the black cabinet, so it is in the garage due to the Wife Factor.

pete

"I would like to hear how your system sounds with the McIntosh as I have heard nothing but good things about Mac."

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I ran my Cornwalls ('78 Walnut Oiled, s/n's 16S801&2, K33E tweeters, K55V squawks, K77 tweets) with McIntosh stuff: C-26 pre, MC-2105 amp, for about 6 months before I switched over to an integrated Antique Sound Lab AQ-1003DT (30 watts push-pull with EL-34s and 12AU7s, 4 ea.

The sound with the Mac stuff was great: detailed, powerfully solid, and great high freqs. The MC-2105 was rated at 105 watts RMS, but actually put out closer to 140. I do believe all the hype about the first watt being the most important, however, and don't think the Mac was able to be as intimate and lifelike at lower volumes because of it's SS nature.

You've just got to hear it to believe it when it comes to Klipsch and tubes, however: My belief that I was hearing what was pretty close to being some of the nicest sounding music I'd heard was shattered after I heard my Cornies with 30 watts from the ASL. Unbelieveable detail, a much more lifelike presence, and wider, deeper soundstage were just a few of the immediately noticeable improvements. And I still love the Macs...

Anyway, these are just a few things I noticed after switching out the Mac stuff for tubes.

Happy listening!!!

Relic,

Yes I keep hearing the same thing..."You gotta hear Klipsch speakers with tubes!" and its got me thinking-How well would tubes be for Hard rock/Heavy metal?(My choice of music)

I mean I listen to a great variety of music but no more so then my heavy stuff.

I was reading all the posts about tubes and the posts about 8 watts being enough but for my music-I really don't think so.

I was thinking of searching the local want ads for a old scott tube amp or Heathkit and try running it both ways.Tubes for my soft side and easy listening,Solid state for my "let shake the house and piss off the neighbors!"My Yamaha preamp has inputs for 2 amplifiers so I could leave both connected for a true A/B test.

Jeff

Jeff,

ALL types of music are improved with tubes! Even if you like heavy metal, hard rock or whatever, the impact of what you will hear with tubes will be dramatic. I mean, it will literally knock you on your can. When I stated that the lower volumes' quality of detail and presence are superior with bottles, I meant it! At higher volumes, you will need 30 watts + to get the headroom for the air and life that will blow you away. Go find yourself some tubes, man! The SETs are nice, but to get butt-kicking, real music in your room, get at least 30 watts (preferably mono-blocks), place them close to your speakers, and let the show begin. Trust me on this...