Comparison of Denon 3800 or 4800 series (or similar receiver) to a preamp for 2ch and 5.1

Fast1

I am trying to make a decision if a high quality powered receiver can obtain the quality sound I am looking for or if a pre/pro is the only way to go? I think I will stay with solid state for now since the comparison seems rather mixed. I believe my setup is in my sig. My receiver is certainly the weak link and I have tested with my bro's outlaw preamp and the mids filled in, the highes did not hurt so much, etc. Just a much better experience.

I will certainly need something that will double for 2ch and surround so DD will be a must and a few other DSP modes would be nice. One problem I have had with the 2800 series Denon is noise when not in direct mode. Obviously Klipsch owners can understand that any noise in the system will certainly make it out of those horms... I am just trying to decide what I need to shop for. I have a chance to dump my gear to a neighbor and upgrade. I would like to do something in the next few months.

Thanks. I guess what I was asking is, is there a receiver out there that can really hold it's own against some of the dedicated pre amps? I realize most receivers have pre amp outs. In my experience, the Outlaw pre amp blew the doors off my Denon but I will agree that was not a fair fight with my wimpy 2800 series. I am not as concerned about huge amounts of power from a receiver as my mains are amped, I am just like the flexibility of a receiver if they can compete.

Are there other receivers to look at? If Denon is the one to stay with, what series should be a minimum for sound quality? I want to LOSE this hiss that I get from the 2803. I am just not sure if the 4800 series is that much better than 3800 or if it just comes down to creature features that I do not need...