Anybody have a Roku box hooked up to their HT?

Dr. Jim Mixon

I just found out we could upgrade our DSL to 6 mb/sec from our old 1.5 so we did. Now am thinking about a Roku box. Anybody out there have a Roku box hooked up to their HT? How's the sound and pic? Any trouble with your router or will our moderately old wireless N Lynksys work OK? I figure you connect it like any other input souce, right? HDMI out of the Roku and into your A/V rec and then HDMI out to your TV, right? Any advice mucho appreciated.

You're gonna love the Roku; I've had mine since they were first released, and you get approximately DVD quality from most content and better than DVD (720p) content for the HD stuff. Connection is easy-peasy and just the way you described it.

Does your router also talk the older 802.11g standard, or N only? If you run in Wireless-N only mode, you'll want to spring for the HD-XR. Otherwise, you'll be set with the HD.

We have the WRT 160 N Lyyksys. I was planning on the HD XR because our router is upstairs. Thanks for the input; I've just about made my mind up to get the HD XR; that is as soon as Centurylink gets my DSL up to 6 MB/sec. Thanks again, I was thinking that nobody was gonna respond.

I had a Roku box for a while back a year or so ago. It worked great but I ended up buying a blu ray player that streamed Netflix and some other options so I let the Roku go.

I saw the other day on Amazon that the Samsung 5500 BD player was selling for $130ish. The price has since gone up but you can buy a Samsung 1600 off of ebay for well under $100 and it does Netlfix and a few other streaming options as well

I guess all I'm saying is check out some of the blu ray players that have streaming because they upscale the picture to 1080p and they'll also play DVDs and blu ray discs as well. More bang for your buck in my opinion with better picture quality.

I have been looking at the ROKU box for a while now. They do look nice, and the price is right. However, I have just about decided to wait another month or so and check out the Boxee Box. The Boxee Box is supposed to be very nice. Kind of an odd shape but I can live with that if the content is there.

• Like 1

iTide, luv your Tide logo!!! My blood runneth Crimson and big time!! Now, I guess back to the Boxee Box. Never heard of it. Will Google it up and study on it some. My DSL was supposed to be upgraded to 6 mb/sec, but it's not; anywhere from 3 to 5 is what I'm gettin'. So I'm leary of the performance I'd be getting from the Roku XR-HD which I wanted. Thanks for responding.