Rotel Preamp processors. Leaning away from another Denon receiver.. Compare preamps

Fast1

Per some reading, I am just leaning a bit away from getting a newer, better Denon since some say the best receivers out there will not touch the sound of aquality pre amp. I hope this is the right way to go.. I only have a 2Ch amp for the mains now so I will have to find a 3ch or something for the rest. I am thinking of staying with a Rotel so they are all powered by the same brand...

On the preamp, I again was looking at Rotel but wondering if there is anything else I should be considering that is a good bang for the buck? I cannot spend too much on this deal right now with a kiddo on the way. I was going to just get a 3805-3808 Denon but people are telling me that separates is a leap forward in sound quality. I will certainly have to buy used, which ever way I go..

I am hoping to find a preamp with with a quality remote so I can program my other equipment with it. Can someone throw some pros and cons to separates vs an AVR?

I just recently upgraded my power to an Outlaw 750, I basically run my Integra as a pre. I will probably never look back.

AVR pros: AVR cons:

All-in-one package Usually A LOT less power to your speakers

Usually cheaper Has to work very hard to do all things at once (process signals,power everything,handle vid)

Most of the time takes up MUCH less space Overall sound quality not as good (seperation of instruments, might strain when pushed)

Obviously, vise versa on the pros/cons for separates. The first thing I noticed when I got my amp was the separation of instruments, next thing was that I felt like my ears would give before the amp strained at all. Sometimes I felt like my Integra (rated at 105w/ch) strained just a bit at high volumes. Also, for me, the mids were cleaned up A LOT when I added the Outlaw.

The thing you have to keep in mind (which you obviously are) is that you will need 2 additional peices of equipment (3/5 ch amp AND a pre). That can get pricey, especially if you want to stick with Rotel (which I wouldn't blame you, I've heard Rotel pairs really well with Klipsch).

All this is strictly my opinion, anyone feel free to disagree.

Jrod

I am going through the same trasition right now, I've picked up an XPA-5, now I am looking to replace my Integra receiver with a Pre/Pro. I went to look at a couple Anthems (way too much $), I saw an Integra that was manageable at $2300, but I think that I will give the Emo UMC-1 a shot, the XPA is pretty nice... Let us know what you decide to go with.