RC-7 Crossover Upgrade

I finally upgraded my RC-7 crossover to match my DeanG RF-7's. I originally purchased my RF-7's/RC-7's used but the RC-7 had the stock crossover which was the weak link in comparison to the DeanG RF-7 crossovers.

I had contacted DeanG about supplying the components for me to install myself, but he declined due to bad experience. I respect DeanGs' decision not to furnish components, he doesn't need to waste his time to troubleshoot other peoples mistakes. I also wanted to match the existing DeanG crossovers in my RF-7's which used Auricaps in the HF section and Solon caps in the LF section. Overall I spent more $ on the upgrade then what DeanG charges since I don't get OEM discount on the components. I find doing this type of work myself rewarding but wouldn't hesitate to recommend DeanG for others who wish to have their crossovers upgraded.

Due to the stack-up of the modified crossovers, I found it impractable to stack them. I opted to mount the LF board on the back of the terminal cup and the HF board on the rear inside back of the enclosure just below the terminal cup. I used nylon stand-offs and screwed the board to the rear enclosure which allowed room for the mills resistors mounted on the back side of the board.

After about 20 hours of "burn-in" on my 2 channel system, I installed the modded RC-7 in my HT system. After running the MCACC on my HT, I immediately noticed that the center speaker blends in with the RF-7's. The RC-7 sounds more detailed and articulate then the stock crossover, gone is the harshness.

Several audiofile people had commented that my RF-7's were the best they heard. I explained that I had the DeanG crossover mods.

I will attempt to add some photos:

img0023x.jpg

Installed Modded crossovers

img0