processor or solid state for Klipschorns

erictye

I currently am running 2a3's along with other tube configurations. I am looking to build a solid state system for day to day listening (radio and just to have it on) and integrate it into a home theatre possibly. I would like something warm like a mcintosh and also something to bring out the bass. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, vintage would work as well. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Well, let's see: I'd probably go for an electronic crossover and bi-amp using a couple of used Crown D-45s or D-75As.

I'd set up an ElectroVoice DC-One (or a Behringer DCX-2496 if cost is a factor) electronic crossover in at least a bi-amp configuration and cross at about 400 Hz with 24 db/octave L-R filters.

Then I'd immediately crank in a 32Hz PEQ at +7dB with a filter width ("Q") of about 12. I would also use the electronic crossover to correct for that 8.4 millisecond delay
between the lf bin and the tweeter. If I had a extra buck or two, I'd buy another Crown amp (used) and
tri-amp so that I could correct for that 1.7 millisecond delay between
the tweeter and the midrange.

This setup would allow me to also adjust for any harshness in the 7.7 KHz area (and to eventually change out the midrange and tweeter drivers with better performing drivers and horns).

That's what I'd do because it would provide real flexibility/adjustability and increased sonic performance.

Chris [;)]

post-28404-13819584193024_thumb.jpg