Acurus A125x5 hook up

jperrewe

Need some help, purchased a used Acurus A125x5 and should receive it in a few days. My question is how too hook it up to my Yamaha 870 receiver. The Yammy is an old dolby surround. How will the amp get a singnal for all five speaker? I have to use the Yammy until I get a pre/pro.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with the Adcom GTP 760 and GTP 830 per/pro's. I have an Outlaw 950 reserved but who knows when my number will come up. Advice on a pre/pro?

Thanks,

Jim

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

dougdrake,

I believe all thats there is a stereo pre-amp output. This is an old (early 90's) dolby pro logic receiver. The Yammy has five channels of amplification but not five channel pre-amp hook ups. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Thanks,

Jim

If you've only got 2 channels of pre-amp out, then that's all you can feed the amp. Now, you could put a y-adapter on each of the 2 outputs and feed a total of 4 inputs to the amp, but it is still going to be just 2 channels of music spread over 4 channels of amplification (2R and 2L). The third, fourth, and fifth channels get nothing.

Hurry up new pre/pro!

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks Doug,

Thats what I figured. Can I run my front speakers with the Acurus and the rear & center off the Yammy?

Now for the pre/pro. I have the Outlaw 950 reserved, but would pass on it for something else of good quality. $1,000 is about the max. I read some reveiws on the Acurus Act III and was not impressed but someone could have had a bad day. Adcom has two available the GTP 760 @ $725 and GTP 830 @ $850, but I can't find any reviews. Need some help. I'm new into the digital stereo components,(as is proof with the old Yammy). There is alot out there. I would go with a 7.1 pre/pro so I could add a two channel amp and two more speakers later but only need 5.1. I do want something that will pass through the new audio formats, DVDA & SACD. (there are alot of new goodies on my list, can buy only one at a time) I'm guess the quality of your pre/pro is most critical at this point.

Thanks,

Jim

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

Jim - You certainly can use your Acurus to drive just the front channels. I'm using my 200x3 to drive the front speaker array, and the Denon handling the rears.

Afraid I can't help on the pre/pro. Not in the market, so I don't know much about that (or much else, for that matter Wink.gif).

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

Thanks for your help. Come to find out when I got home and checked my Yammy, it does have 5 line outputs for the speakers.

I have to roll my 50" TV out of the home entertainment center to get a look at the back of my gear. Kind of a pain but this satisfies the wife with a nice clean appearance in the family room. Keep her happy and I can continue to upgrade my gear.

Thanks,

Jim