no power on Powermedia 2.1

I am brand new to this forum and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out here...

I bought a used Powermedia 2.1 a few years ago and enjoyed excellent sounding computer speakers for quite some time. About a year ago, without warning (no noises, buzzing, etc.) the unit simply does not turn on. I bought some other speakers in the meantime that I are doing the job, but I don't like nearly as much. I'm trying to purge some old stuff that's been sitting around and I would really feel terrible about getting rid of such great speakers if there is a reasonably easy fix to my problem.

I changed the fuses a couple of times - both the accessible one on the back of the sub and I took off the back panel and changed the fuses inside too. I made sure to use the correct fuses.

I really don't know anything about electronics, but after seeing some photos posted on this forum of blown components on the inside of the sub, I took mine apart and looked for such obvious signs but I couldn't find anything.

With my very, very limited knowledge of electronics, I would say the power switch doesn't work but then again, my expertise is quite limited here. When everything is connected correctly and I flip the power switch, nothing happens.

Any advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance to your help,

Joe

if you own a voltage meter then the first step would be to trace all the wires in the control pod's DIN connector and make sure that they allhave connection from the inside ofthe control pod to the pins inside the connector, if any of them are bad than that is the first place you will start. If they are all good then you have a more serious problem and you might be better off selling the system for parts and getting another one. if the DIN needs work then I have a few options for you.

If anyone can give some more suggestions and/or advice here, I would really appreciate it... I tested the power cord for connectivity with my new toy/voltage tester and, in my very limited electrical vocab., I'll try to explain what I found.

When I tested the connectivity of the hot side of the plug, I put one pin of the voltage tester on the hot plug and poked the other thru the glue blob where it connects to the fuse after the power switch. With the switch off = no connection, with the switch on = strong connection. The neutral plug didn't read a connection with the plug on or off. I did test the connectivity of the neutral side right where the power cord enters the back of the sub, and there is a connection there. I know for sure the fuse it good.

So, is that what is supposed to happen or do I have a bad component somewhere near the fuse - maybe the ceramic disc capacitor? I think that's what it is called anyway...

Like I stated in a previous post, I really don't know much about electronics and would appreciate any help or suggestions. I really like these speakers and if there is a way to remedy my no power problem, I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...