Why have an adjustable cross-over?

Radmanna

Apparently, some Klipsch subs have a built-in, steep-slope (24dB/octave) low-pass crossover is continuously adjustable from 40 to 120 Hz. And, some do not.

For those subs that do continuously adjust from a 40 to 120 Hz range ... is this done automatically, and so is constantly variable ... or is this done manually and remiains at the Hz setting until changed again by the operator?

What is the benefit of having a variable crossover, and if there are benefits to having an adustable crossover, then why don't all Klipsch subs have this capability?

Steve

Apparently, some Klipsch subs have a built-in, steep-slope (24dB/octave) low-pass crossover is continuously adjustable from 40 to 120 Hz. And, some do not.

If you think about it, most AV preamp-processors/receivers have built-in digital crossovers, even from the pre-amp out port (i.e., for powered subs).

The only preamps that seem to not have this feature seem to be older two-channel preamps and receivers and some add-on PC-based audio amplifiers (two channel). There is a clue here, I think. These type of preamps need the sub to have its own circuitry to take a mono line-level out channel to do its own low-pass crossing.

In other words, it appears to be application-specific.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I am most impressed with the picture of your sound system, and interestingly, how it is all centered around the television mounted above your fireplace. The front wall of your (surround sound?) setup is what I've been thinking about doing in a single wall, 3.1 sound setup. I'm still flipping a coin on whether I want to mount my 52" widescreen television above the mantlepiece (as your setup is), or below the mantlepiece. The top of my mantlepiece is 46 " high. Mounting our TV above the mantlepiece, would place the center of the television relatively high above our couch, because the couch is only 10 feet away from our south (sound) wall.

More than likely, the viewing aspect would be more comfortable for our necks, by mounting the TV below the current 46" mantlepiece ... or above a replacement mantlepiece that would be about 14 inches below the original mantlepiece. I'll first try the TV underneath the current mantlepiece, as a cheaper option.

I'd like to see other pictures of your setup, if it is a surround sound system, but apparently your profile only has one picture of one wall of equipment. I would appreciate it you could share more pictures in a personal message, if this is possible to do, and if it's okay with you. Please let me know, in a personal message if you like.

Steve

I'd like to see other pictures of your setup, if it is a surround sound system, but apparently your profile only has one picture of one wall of equipment.

I currently don't have pictures of the back of the room (the kitchen/breakfast area), but here is a slightly different view of the setup while I was still trying things out. The other Cornwall surround is out of view to the right up against the wall. There is a under-stair closet on the right wall and a kitchen bar to the direct right of the camera position.

Steve, the top of my mantle is about 65" tall. Having the TV (a 47" diagonal) above the
mantle allows us to kick back in our reclining couch (the blue one, which is now centered and about 10' back from the fireplace wall) to watch movies. Both my wife and I wear progressive bifocals and the
angle of the TV above the mantle is great to keep the distance portion in view while reclined.

Chris

post-28404-1381958524807_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I'm surprised on the number of items you have sitting on top of your Klipschorns. My first experience with Klipsch speakers was with a pair of Cornwalls, while watching Charles Heston in "Earthquake". The volume setting was low during Earthquake, and the only (non-breakable) item on one speaker was a small but heavy metal dish that danced (vibrated) along the surface of the Cornwall. Do you tend to listen at low volumes with those big speakers?

I ask about the volume, because while my South (sound) wall of a 3.1 system is fairly thick, my east wall (faces my back yard and other back yards) is about 80 percent glass. Having Heresy III speakers at the L-C-R positions of a 3.1 sound system will be more than I need, because the (living room & kitchen) east wall has two glass doors and a large kitchen window .... which are open a lot when Michigan weather is between 60 and 80 degrees.

As far as subwoofers, because of the HOA Gestapo (Home Owners Association) and the lack of an East wall, I probably would not get a sub that has a driver bigger than 10-12 inches. Oh, and then there is the wife ... and her three cats that "don't need loud music" ... that would limit the power of my subwoofer.

What if: (1) I mount my 52" widescreen TV below the mantlepiece that is 46 inches high. (2) I mount the center Heresy III speaker about 48 inches above the floor. (3) My Left & Right Heresy III speakers (15 feet apart) are siting on pine buffets, so that the L & R speakers are 36 inches above the floor. (4) Would the center speaker sound goofy if it were above the TV and also higher than the L & R speakers by 14 inches?

What if: (1) I mount my 52" widescreen TV below the mantlepiece that is 46 inches high. (2) I mount the center Heresy III speaker about 48 inches above the floor. (3) My Left & Right Heresy III speakers (15 feet apart) are siting on pine buffets, so that the L & R speakers are 36 inches above the floor. (4) Would the center speaker sound goofy if it were above the TV and also higher than the L & R speakers by 14 inches?

1) If you don't use the fireplace, then mounting the TV below the mantle is possible. We still use our fireplace in winter: I put a thermally reflective barrier around the back and bottom of my center Heresy--and it stays cool.

2&4) The center channel will sound good above or below the TV, but it is desirable to be within a foot or so vertically on a line from the center of your front speakers (tweeters/midranges).

3) A Heresy on a stand will kill much of its LF response, so you will likely need to run sub or two full-time (i.e., a so called "music sub" setup). This will sound very good - depending on the type of sub(s) you integrate. As you know, bigger effective radiating surfaces for subs are better, even at lower volumes. I'd place subs as close to a corner as possible (preferably in a corner).

This is very do-able and I think you will be pleased with the results.

Chris

The volume setting was low during Earthquake, and the only (non-breakable) item on one speaker was a small but heavy metal dish that danced (vibrated) along the surface of the Cornwall. Do you tend to listen at low volumes with those big speakers?

I had the Khorns in those corners for ~4 months before deciding to acquire Jubilees (I got a good deal on the Khorns). The items on top of the cabinets did tend to resonate if I cranked them up. We since have acquired more level space in our den so she can place her stuff in other places.

In fact, that was part of what led me to the Jubs - the Khorns were speakers that needed to be "tamed" (i.e., typically using "vintage nonlinear electronics"--that I dislike). My wife cannot take hard-edged sound of "take-no-prisoner" bebop, etc., so I decided to solve the problem at its source. Jubs don't need to be tamed and they also don't have a flat surface on top [6].

I still have the Khorns, but I've since tamed them (NOT using vintage electronics) and they are in an upstairs room that doubles as a HT and a sewing room Go figure. They sound great.

Chris

I'd like to see other pictures of your setup, if it is a surround sound system, but apparently your profile only has one picture of one wall of equipment.

My wife brought the point-and-shoot camera back home today. Here is a shot from the back of the room.

post-28404-13819585279432_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Chris, for the rear-shots of your sound room. With the exception that I'm planning on much smaller L/R speakers, you've already set up what I've been thinking about for the last few days. I kind of plan on playing cards at our kitchen table, which is behind our TV viewing area like yours is, so I just want quality speakers pointing from the South wall and towards the living room couch and kitchen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your setup a 3.0 sound system? I see no speakers behind the couch, and I see no subwoofer in front of the couch. I see two huge Left & Right speakers and a Heresy center speaker.

Is your sound system a basic 3.0 (Left-Center-Right only) setup?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your setup a 3.0 sound system? I see no speakers behind the couch, and I see no subwoofer in front of the couch. I see two huge Left & Right speakers and a Heresy center speaker.

Is your sound system a basic 3.0 (Left-Center-Right only) setup?

I'm running a "5.2" (two subs, one each under the Jubs). The surround Cornwalls are even with the couches against each side wall.

Chris

Regarding your setup, and quoting the smaller of the Bullwinkly-Rocky partnership: "Hokey Smokes".

Could you please provide a checklist of your speakers shown in your recent photos, so I can see them at a glance, and indicate what function (and location in room) each speaker is doing? This would include the L/R/C, the subs, the kitchen sink, the surrounds, etc. The HOA would probably put me in the stockade if I had such a setup, but it will help me appreciate how you've set your system up. They have outlawed public flogging in Michigan, haven't they?

Could you please provide photos of your surrounds, perhaps with a part of the couch in those pictures, to orient where you have the surrounds?

Also, could you provide a close up of your center speaker, and the stand that it is on? How close is the center speaker to your firewall?

And I have to ask: Do you keep your television mounted above the fireplace in the wintertime ... and watch the TV while burning firewood ... while the television is mounted above the mantelpiece as shown in your recent photos????

Also, could you provide a close up of your center speaker, and the stand that it is on? How close is the center speaker to your firewall?

The center Heresy is now attached to a fastener on the fireplace itself using a mortar anchor (see profile photo). It hangs from the fastener positioned near the top and center of the back of the speaker, and rests against the fireplace masonry as a backstop. As you might know, the Heresy is rather heavy but the mortar anchor is up to the task.

And I have to ask: Do you keep your television mounted above the fireplace in the wintertime ... and watch the TV while burning firewood ... while the television is mounted above the mantelpiece as shown in your recent photos????

In the wintertime, we watch TV while the fireplace is flickering away. We use natural gas with beautiful simulated ceramic logs. The mantle acts as a mixing barrier to direct heat convection up from the fireplace. The TV remains quite cool to the touch.

Chris

post-28404-1381958530421_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much, Chris.

Your snapshots help to illustrate the potential for a 5.1 setup in my living room in the future. Due to size and volume constraints, the addtion of a rearward L/R would also be H3 speakers. Those rearwards would probably be placed on the floor, on the H3's riser slants, at about the 4:00 and 8:00 position from our couch's center.

It's hard to judge, but are your surrounds at the immediate left & right of the living room couch you and your wife sit at, and are you still able to appreciate surround sound with rearward speakers at the 3:00 and 9:00 position from your couch's center? I simply assumed that rearward (surround sound) speakers had to be behind the listener, to obtain the surround sound perspective, but apparently this assumption is not correct?

Also, the main reason I committed to not using our fireplace ... if mounting our home theater in front of and above the fireplace ... was the concern of heat damage to speakers and TV. Our fireplace is a wood burner, and I've yet to use the fireplace. So I don't know how much the flames can fluctuate, and I don't know how hot it would be above the fireplace mantelpiece. BTW, the height of the flat top of our mantelpiece is 46".

It is apparent that it's becoming more common to mount home theaters in front of and beyond existing (wood burning?) fireplaces. Are there newer technologies out there, that provide a TV-protective mantelpiece ... that would further lessen the impact of fluctuating heat rising above the mantelpiece ... for the express purpose of protecting TV's mounted above fireplaces?

How would I find those companies that specialize in TV-protective mantelpieces ... and that anchoring device you use to stabilize the center H3 directly in front of the fireplace?

Thanks again, Chris, for your patience and information.