power supply options

Dimicha

Hey guys!I'm a newbie in the forum,so forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been answered.Anyway,here's my question-I have purchased a ProMedia 2.1 speaker system via Ebay.Since I am from Bulgaria,which is in Europe,there is a difference in power supply standard-here we use 220v outlets,compared to 110v in the US.So what kind of device do I need to buy ti power up the new speakers when they arrive-I guess some kind of transformer is needed, not just a plug adapter.Please help!Thanks in advance!

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/134279.aspx

I'd say that any 220V-to110V converter that could handle a few Watts will suffice. Generally: the better the quality of the voltage converter--the better the sound from your speakers.

I wouldn't use a chopper (i.e., DC-110V converter) that are typically marketed for automobile use.

Chris

OK,thank you very much but what is the appropriate wattage of the transformer-since the promedias have a 200w amp,would a 300w transformer be enough?Also is the duty cycle of any importance-here we have a 50Hz duty cycle whereas in the US it is 60 Hz.?

OK,thank you very much but what is the appropriate wattage of the transformer-since the promedias have a 200w amp,would a 300w transformer be enough?

Unless you are running your system at close to clipping (i.e., VERY LOUD), I'd say 300W capacity is enough. There are many products out there. I'd select one that has a grounding lug (both sides).

Also is the duty cycle of any importance-here we have a 50Hz duty cycle whereas in the US it is 60 Hz.?

Things get easier at 50 HZ, besides the Promedia system is converting to DC to drive your electronics. The big issue is power supply filtering - I don't know if the Promedia amplifier has 60 Hz notch filters built-in, but I wouldn't think that it would. I don't have a circuit diagram of the system, unfortunately.

I'd say you will be okay using a regular 220V-110V converter of at least 200 Watt capacity.

Chris

??,thank you very much.I hope all goes well and I sure hope these babies are worth it because delivering them to Bulgaria will sure cost me a lot-the final price will be well above the original $150.

But anyway,there isn't much of a choice of good computer speakers here in Bulgaria.There is a huge gap between low-end speakers,costing approximately $50(not only are they low-end but they are also expensive) and

top of the line Creative and Logitech systems,but as far as I know they are generally crappy for music,unlike the Klipsch speakers.So I'm buying the Promedias not only for PC speakers-I also considered buying some kind of the so-called micro Hi-Fi system, which are even more expensive and do not have a dedicated subwoofer. So the Promedias are going to have to do the work of a multimedia system (for movies) and a stereo system (for music)...I hope they are up to the challenge.

You may not need a convertor, but just an adaptor. A lot of stuff will handle 110-240v an 50/60hz. Yes the plug is American, so all you may need it a convertor plug, usually like $20 for these, and the don't have any wattage restrictions as all it is doing is changing the plug type. I would get the speakers in your hands first and look at the backing plate to see if it says 110-220 before you buy the convertor.