Replacing my Onkyo TX-SR607

Kritzer

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my Onkyo TX-SR607. The main reason is due to the lack of Pre-outs. What would be a similar alternative to this reciever? I am looking at the TX-SR707, but if anyone has any superior suggestions please let me know! The 607 has all the featuers I need and sounds great to me, but due to being unable to hook up an external amp I have to replace it. I plan on using a Emotiva or similar 3 channel amp to drive my front speakers.

Matt

Sorry, but I'm still fairly 'noob', what do you mean by "seperates"? As in a seperate amp? But a budget for the AvR I'm hoping to score something around ~$600 or less. If something comes up that is really good and a bit more expensive I might be persuaded to buy it :P. Maybe theres some good clearance sales going on :D.

Yes, separate amp and processor vs integrated.

It looks like the 707 is $900 at Vann's and an Emotiva XPA-3 is $600. Meanwhile an Emotiva XPA-5 is $800 and the UMC-1 processor is $700. All else being equal, I'd go with separates. After all, why pay for new amplification with EVERY upgrade cycle?

In any event, with either path you're over budget by 150%. [:P]

Thanks for the responce. I found a 707 on Crutchfield for $650. That plus the XPA-3 brings me to $1250 which I can budget for. I figure I won't be upgrading the amp for a long time and the only thing that may be upgraded in the future is the AVR. All set and done, would the UMC-1 + XPA-5 be worth the extra money? Or are we comparing apples to apples?

Thanks, Matt