After many years of great work my 5.1 Pro Media Ultra's are dying

Astroman

I have had my 5.1 Pro Media Ultra's for almost 8 years without any issues. Yesterday all of the sudden the satellite speakers started cutting out. When playing music the subwoofer stays on but the satellite speakers cut in and out. I thought it might be a driver corruption under Windows 7 so I uninstalled and re-installed the Realtek audio drivers with no luck. I eventually re-installed Windows 7, thinking it was a software issue, and I am still having the same problem. I have a set of logitech 2.1's that tested fine so I'm guessing it has to be the 5.1's. Any ideas or suggestions? What's my next move? Thanks in advance for your help.

A couple of things come to mind. First move the satellites up front and see if they are still cutting out, that would indicate the problem is with the satellites. Second replace the wire going to the satellites and see if that clears it up. If the wires check out and also the satellites, then it could be the binding posts for the satellites at the sub. At which point you open up the sub and see what you can see.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried all options you've given me. I've even open'd up the subwoofer and looked for any obvious issues. No dangeling wires. I'm not an electrician so there could have been something there that i'm missing. I would have no idea what to touch or move. The satellites sound great when they work and go straight to the subwoofer after 30 seconds of use. Is that the amp?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I only checked the forum a few times a year, and just spotted your post. The problem you describe is frequently from one of three causes: a 2N5551 transistor (more likely on the older THX panels, but at 8 years, your Ultra is getting in range for this transistor to fail), a 22 volt zener diode near it, or the BASH HC1011 chip for the satellite section. I've seen this problem many times. The first two components sit on a board that gets quite hot, and I've seen the diode, transistor and some capacitors fail from that heat. That's one reason why moving air past that board to bring the temperatures down has been effective (eliminating charring, arcing and shorting at the other end of that AC-DC converter is the other reason to install a fan for airflow). The panel should be repairable.

Thanks so much for the reply. You were completely right. I was very lucky and found an electronics guy that knew what he was doing. Looks like the BASH chip HC1011 to the satelitte speakers blew. He was able to use a different chip to power the sat speakers and they sound beautiful again. Cost me $100 bucks. [:D]

astroman,

can you share what chip is it? so we can fix our promedia at the same time know an alternative bash chip? thanks :)

I wish I knew exactly. He said it was a power chip taken from a dvd player to power the satellites. I'll try to follow up if you feel it would be helpful.

@astroman

the bash module would look like this. Promedia 5.1 has 2 of this bash modules and its both located on the side of the digital converter board

This picture is for reference only the red squared module is the bash Module.. this picture belongs to a promedia 4.1 so this is not the exact place where your bash chip is located.. I just posted this picture for you to identify what the bash module looks like.

bash hc1011bash pcb back