HELP!! Bucking Magnets Didn't Work

Mlstrass

Mlstrass, are the KLF-30's extending out beyond the front of your TV... if so, pull them back and see what happens.

Although I have a 65" RPHD Mitsubishi and the electronics has a fair degree of distance due to the size of the TV... I will still get distortion if the front of my KLF-30's are just a fraction of an inch in front of the monitor.

Are you sure you followed the instructions on installing the bucking magnets? -HornEd

PS: Maybe you'll get lucky and have Boa snake into your thread as our Forum resident bucking magnet buckaroo.

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo needs updating! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-29-2002 at 11:06 PM

HornEd,

I've tried moving them all over and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Way out front to way behind the TV. As soon as they're within 1' of the TV it distorts.

Positive on placing the magnets on correctly, even though one had the sticker on the wrong side.

I did read that some TV's are more sensitive to this and perhaps my RCA is one of them.

I will call Klipsch today about the shielding cups, but I'm a little hesitant to shell out the bucks after spending $140 for the magnets and getting little in return.

That is hard to believe if you put them on right, because I just did it about a week ago (thanks to the help of the forum) and it works great. I only did the woofers too.

My KLF 30's are less then a foot away from my tube TV. Maybe you TV has been damaged and it will not go away. Luckily my TV has a "Geomagnetic Correction option" or I would have severely damaged it.

Those are the only possibilities I can think of.

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----RC-3 II

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15 + Basscube 15

TV--Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD------XBOX

It goes away if I move the speakers. Called Klipsch and they don't make shielding cups. Am considering some Mu Metal foil to wrap the magnets.

Not very hard to put on right as you are reversing the polarity so you'll have resistance when attaching them.

Searching the Home Theater Forum it does seem that some TV's are more sensitive to this than others.

Will probably also try some thick sheet metal between TV and speakers......Getting desperate!!

I ordered some shielding foil before getting the bucking magnets ($80 for 4 feet). It helps the problem. I cut it up into small pieces and layered it to put around the magnet.

If you are interested in it I could sell it to you for much less then I paid for it.

Let me know if that is what you are looking for,

Tony

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----RC-3 II

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15 + Basscube 15

TV--Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD------XBOX

Wow, Mlstrass, you really do have a sensitive TV!

I suspect that's Mu metal foil that Schmidty is offering and, perhaps, you could fashion your own layered caps with it. If you use a piece of sheet metal, make sure that it is low carbon steel.

Of course, the easiest solution is to trade-in the sensitive one for a big, old, insensitive RPHD Mitsubishi.cwm20.gif

If you solve your problem... you can bet we all want to hear about it. Good luck! -HornEd

Update: The magnets seem to be working better now. Not sure how/why that is but the first night I reassembled I still couldn't get them close to the TV. The next day after work I turned on the TV and started moving them closer inch by inch and was able to get them where I need them; about 1' off each side.

Thanks for all of the suggestions....Mike

P.S. Been VERY busy building my DIY sonosub. Tempests arrived last Friday, but still no amp. I'm doing some painting today and will do final assembly sometime this week. Pics/SPL data to follow.....