Please help me with rs-42 or rs-52

jithinkkj

HI,

i'm slowly building my home theatre... ive hk avr3600, which give 80w per channell. rb 61 in front and right, rc -62 in centre.. trying to make a 5.1 channel. as first step i'm looking to get rs 42 or 52. i do have lil space constraints so that i would like to get a small speakers with out compromising the effects. rs-42 has 75w continuous and my avr gives out 80w.. will it be a problem to add less poweres speaker with higher powered avr.? please advise in thie configuration which one will be the best choice?

I have little experience with this speaker line.

That being said, my Heresies are rated max 75 WPC, and my Onkyo is rated at 100WPC.

You will not damage the speakers unless you drive them hard enough to cause distortion.

I am very sure you will be fine with the 42s being 5WPC less rated than the receiver.

(The receiver will only put out 80WPC when the volume is turned up very high, also, the 75WPC of the RS 42s is continuous, 300WPC peak, in short bursts):

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 52Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 75W RMS / 300W Peak
SENSITIVITY 93dB @ 2.83V / 1m (equivalent sound energy)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1700Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression drivers mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horns
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 4" (10.2cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual side-firing ports
HEIGHT 10" (25.4cm)
WIDTH 10.75" (27.3cm)
DEPTH 7.75" (19.7cm)
MOUNTING Keyhole bracket and Dual 1/4"-20 threaded inserts
WEIGHT 10lbs (4.5kg)
FINISHES Matte Black vinyl

Good Luck!

As a rule, (very general rule) bigger is better.

As I stated, I am not too familiar with those speakers.

I would bet the 52's would be better to a degree, but not sure how much.

Since they are surrounds, you might be just fine with the 42s.

Hopefully someone with these exact speakers will reply with a more definitive answer.

I just got a pair of 52s mainly because i got a great deal $224 each. Plus they will grow with you.

I was asking this same question a few weeks back anf the consensus was that you cant wrong with either but buy the best you can afford. You may also want to keep in mind you could upgrade your AVR or buy an Emotiva amp if you want more power. I got an amp off craigs to power my front stage and it made my rears sound a lot better. But I cant say much about the 52s becuase i'm in the process of moving and only connected them to ensure they work.

Also keep in mind both sets are very effiecient (sensitivity above 90) so you dont need a ton of power for them.