Mounting RS-3's on ceiling

shmar10

The ceiling is only 6 feet high? Hmm, that'll be interesting...

I have SS-1s mounted on the ceiling just using the built-in keyhole mounts. But, we're talking about an 8lb speaker versus a 12lb speaker. Not a huge difference, but maybe enough to strain the built-in keyhole mounts of the RS-3s.

Were it me (and it might be if I upgrade to RS-3s), I'd use the keyhole mounts, with 3" screws set into the ceiling joists, and then I'd rig 2 safety straps that go under them using something like some small gauge wire rope (vinyl covered).

I'm sure others have more creative ideas. Don't expect a reply to this from Klipsch, as I'm sure the liability issues are pretty high.

As far as my suggestion, do it at your own risk!

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks for the suggestion. My other option is to mount them on the side walls. The only problem with this is that the speakers would end up being slightly in front of the seating position. How much would this affect the quality of the output?

Thanks!

I just had another idea. What if I mounted a wedge shaped piece of wood to the ceiling - like a big door stop - and then mounted the speakers on these with the keyhole mounts? That way gravity would be able to help hold the speaker on screws in the keyhole mounts.

Here are some pictures of what I did. These are boxes built of .5" MDF, that are attached to the wall. The RS-3's are hung from the boxes using the keyhole mounts. I plan to install crown molding to hide the wires. I don't have a 6'ceiling, but do have windows running down the side wall, so I couldn't mount directly to the walls. Hope this helps.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains)

SF-2 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590

SF-1 Mains

Anyone ever mount these speakers lengthwise on the side walls....I am trying to decide if this would impact sound ....I only have room to mount the speakers on the side walls in the rear...and I would have to mount them vertically on the wall (18inches up and down, instead of side to side)....any thoughts??? (I haven't bought the speakers yet...so I can't just try it...and I don't want to buy them if it's not a recommended mounting method)