Matching my 1977 Horns to the wall and the amplifier

weldpro99

I am asking as I have read so much and it seems the people with the info is here. I purchased a set of Klipshorns from Ebay (1977 ) that appear to be in excellent condition and would like to know if they need to fit gasket tight to the walls? I have a Bob Carver TFM55 amp and an old Harmon Kardon Citation 11 pre amp.I do have a friend that is the sound man for the University Of Illinois ( now retired) but he thought I could up grade the EQ with something from Peavy with a base enhancer but said lets just wait to see what you will get from what you have!

Are there any changes to the cross overs or other speaker changes that are a large difference in high quality sound vs. what I have?Could I add a Lascalla to the center and what size room does that become effective?

Any info here will be greatly appreciated and I think Klipsch rules. I have waited for the day I owned a set of Horns for some 30 years.Just did not have the room and had a wife then who could always spend the money elsewhere first! Not anymore people,Iam in!!!!

I have a set of KLF 30's a set of SF2's (back speakers) front and rear channel SC1's and a 10" self amped bass woofer( Klipsch of course) driven by a Yamaha surround receiver HTR 5590 works well.

Hey Weldpro99, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums and we're glad you're here.

Congratulations on the Khorns!! [<:o)]

You've got a lot of questions and that is a good thing, but why don't you tell us what your trying to achieve?

Home Theater? 2 Channel music system? Both? 3 Channel Music system?

Are the speakers original? Have the Crossover networks been updated?

What is the size of the room that you will be using them in?

Again, Welcome!

Dennie

Welcome to the Khorn priesthood (or cult). Audiophile dream of a lifetime, I bought ny 2003's new then. It's been a LOVE - not so love relationship. The darn things are very amplifier-sensitive and tend to sound bass-shy on newer solid-state home theater amps, though they sounded great in straight-stereo on one older obsolete vintage 1990 Pioneer Pro-Logic HT VSX-5700SX receiver I still have. You should seal them to the wall, which you can do very inexpensively via foam pipe insulating-tubing you can buy at Home Depot or such. Your older Khorns may benefit too from upgrading the crossovers. Mine benefited from top-of-the-line ALK extreme-slope Xovers but they're pricey and other folks on the forum will have other views.

When you do finally have them dialed in to your satisfaction you're in for a treat. Their clarity and transparency is hypnotic, they energize the very air in the room, the performance is just THERE. And when you want to play them stadium-loud they'll do so without flinching. Same basic design for over sixty years and they still hold their own against the supposedly very very best out there. Quite a "Heritage" for PWK.