Upgraded RS-42 crossover W/pics

InVeNtOr

original crossover. there is no diagram with this one. Klipsch will not release any current production speaker diagram. all i did on this one was replace the 1 resistor, 1 HF cap, 1 LF cap, and the binding posts. i used all the original values. this one most people will think i am crazy, but i really don't care :)

in the end, after the 100hrs break in, i re watched the demo i have always used. it is the THX pod race. i will say this, i actually heard detail i have never heard before, or at least heard clearly enough to make out what was done or said. i don't think is was all the UMC or cables, i really think this mod improved my surround effects. it was much sharper and clearer than before. this demo is something i have watched countless times so i know just about every sound it produces and yes, after all the combined mods, it was a much better sound. it's a little hard to explain but here is my best shot.

there is a scene where the stadium is cheering. now in the past, you could hear everyone cheering and it sounded good. but the reality is you could tell it was coming from the 4 rear speakers. now when i re watched the scene it actually sounded like i was in the middle of a stadium. i know that sounds weird or stupid, but it was a different sound. i now really like how my surrounds sound and feel.

post-23806-13819600830872_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819619366186_thumb.jpg

the sonic cap and pulse x caps fit nicely on the board. a side note, these crossover have a ton of "glue" or something like that. you have to really work at getting it off so you have a some what of a smooth surface to put these caps on. i couldn't get all of it off, i had to just make it work with what was left.

post-23806-13819600834042_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819619369116_thumb.jpg

here are the Rhodium plated binding posts. i directly soldered the wire to them. in this case i didn't mind having a solder connection. the materials all sound similar. the rhodium and the cardas solder, along with the tinned wire.

post-23806-13819600835052_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819619370126_thumb.jpg

thats it! all done! the only problem is, i had 7 total crossovers to do! yeah, everything took me a while. i usually only have a few hours a day to work on this stuff or maybe 1 day on the weekend. it took me almost 4 weeks to do all this stuff, re wire, re build cables, and tie it all back together. i had my HT system down for over 4 months total. i had to order new gear and all the supplies. plus i had to pay for it all! lol. the joys of being crazy....lol :)

this pic doesn't do the rhodium binding posts any justice. they have the same look and feel as the gold ones. they are very nice and have a good plating on them.

post-23806-13819600838726_thumb.jpg

post-23806-1381961937478_thumb.jpg