Tonearm wiring capacticance

I'm looking at some Soundsmith cartridges which come in a 100pf or 400pf version.

My buddy who helped me with my custom XLR tonearm setup stated that the capacitance wouldn't matter due to a voltage divider situation.

Any thoughts? I'm looking at running the new moving iron cart. at 35K and trying to figure out which version of the cart. to get.

I'm pretty much a Luddite with regard to capacitance; my tonearm wiring is about 34awg solid core silver and it's about 2feet and wired via XLR to connect to the mic preamp at 35K.

Internal Tonearm Wire (Solid Core Pure Silver Litz)

Ultra-Fine 34AWG tonearm wire constructed of 3 individually enameledReal Solid Core Pure Silver conductors which are tightly twisted using our H-Wound Litz TM technique. Our H-Wound Litz TM method involves Slow Feed High Pitch Precision Twisting of each of the wires into an almost horizontal conguration. Advanced low dielectric loss enamel to reduce overall weight and eliminate static build up. Designed for the most demanding tonearms and cartridges on the market.

Design: Proprietary Horizontal Wound

Conductor: Solid Pure Silver 99.999% (not plated)

Double Polyurethane Enamel Temp Res: 155C°

Overall Diameter: 0.2mm/wire

Weight per 60cm of wire is 0.5grams

Features: Advanced low dielectric loss enamel film Directly solderable with enamel coating acting as a flux Moisture resistant

Available in 0.6M PACK

Richard: I figure 12 inches for the tonearm + table internal wiring + 12 inches for exterior

so 414.8/30*2=27.7 ohms

your grado has a dcr of 2 ohms

5:03 PM

Would 33.5 AWG make much of a difference? 14.11 ohms

5:07 PM

Richard: Actually now that I think about it it won't matter with your pre. The cable resistance forms a voltage divider network with both the cart resistance and the pre load resistance, and the 38k dominates everything else and so there's negligible loss. But if the pre weer loading at 100 ohms instead, that 27 ohms would cost you dearly.

5:09 PM

Richard: like I said.. voltage divider. the cart generator sees 2 ohms, then 14, then 38k, then 14 in turn

so the voltage the pre sees is between the ends of the 38k resistance, and (google voltage divider) (38K+14)/(38K+2*14+2) ~~ 1 for all practical purposes

5:10 PM

so, no, the cart isn't going to see the cable load - all it will be seeing is the pre