Bruce Edgar Horn Sub

TBrennan

Well I heard Bruce's take-no-prisoners Titan system in Lima and it was the best sound reproduction I ever heard. I was really taken with his huge Seismic horn subwoofer. It's larger than a refrigerator and uses a 18" PAS driver. This thing has absolutely no trace of hangover or distortion and makes every other sub I've heard, including my twin 4648s and Servo-Drives, sound like a Bose boombox. This thing is the best, period, nothing comes close.

Bruce Edgar sure takes no prisoners with his designs.I saw a few of his speakers and his sub.Never heard these. Frown.gif

Since you are so taken with the sub I MUST find a place where I can hear this sub.When you have a massive 18" woofer that is being horn loaded no doubt you get SNAP,SPEED and SLAM.

Horn loaded sub,AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The cleanest and best way to get true sub bass.The only two problems are PRICE and SIZE.All things considered its a fair price to pay for the result.

See real quality subwoofers are being made,just they are quite large and costly.

I have a question Brennan,how much does this sub cost?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear---Brace yourself. In a fancy furniture finish it's $3495. In maple plywood...$1600, and get this, in unfinished MDF only $1000. This is an incredible steal. People are paying more than that for midget drivers in monkey-coffins. This is a true 35hz hyperbolic basshorn, dimensions are 72"x31"x26". Bruce uses it with a HSU plateamp with a little EQ and with the HSU the horn is down 5db at 20hz. You gotta hear this thing Ear, it'll twist you. I had an emotional reaction listening to the Titans that was like the first time I heard KHorns 30 years ago, like the KHorns then this thing is opening a whole new dimension. I never thought I've have this kind of reaction to a speaker, not at this stage of the game. Bruce provides a building-block approach to his rigs for experimenters; you can buy his 100hz exponential or tractrix mid-bass horns as unfinished shells for $200 each and provide your own EV, JBL or Altec 15" drivers. The tractrix saladbowls, unfinished, run from $200 each for 650hz horns to $450 each for the 350hz horns. Use your compression driver of choice.

Is this a company? WHERE IS THE WEB SITE?

A thousand bucks is NOTHING for a sub that size!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Dr. Edger was the run away hit of the Midwest Audiofest. Tom Brennan is right - there is nothing as clean and pure and real as a completely horn loaded system. Edger's Titan system, which includes the aforementioned giant horn-loaded sub is the best system I have ever heard.

Edger does not have a web site but can be contacted at: bedger@social.rr.com. I'm sure he'll send you literature. He is very nice and down-to-earth and one hell of a good teacher (as is Tom).

There are pictures over on the audio asylum high efficency board.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

TBrennan:

This is a sub that has been in the back of my mind for a while. I don't remember where I heard about it from, maybe it was here, maybe it was from you, I don't remember. To me, the biggest drawback to this sub was that it weighs 400 pounds! Moving that thing around can be a chore, especially if your listening room is upstairs!

Anyway, here is a photo and some information that Dr. Bruce Edgar sent me about a year-and-a-half ago or so. It's been a while since I've posted a photo, so let's see if I'm able to do it.

This message has been edited by JMON on 04-02-2002 at 02:45 AM

At under $3500 for the top of the line sub and in real wood finishes!WOW

This qualifies as one of the best values in subwooferdom today.

The sad part is I have no space for such a monster(reason why I have tiny cubes and mid sized subs).

You Brennan should get one,with your VOT(if I am not mistaken)you would have a world class setup(you have it now,VOT with the Edgar sub oh yes).

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears