New RF 82, RC62, RS52 & RW 12D Subwoofer.

vigiano

I recently purchased a new set of speakers as listed above. I have a Denon 1804 90 watt receiver and am wondering if I need to upgrade to an Onkyo tx 808, 135 watt receiver to improve the sound. The Denon seems to play loud and clear. What I sometime see is a lack of fullness, more hi and low sound from them. I know the Klipsch are known for the horns and they make incredible hi sounds. I wonder if it is just my hearing as I wear expensive hearing aids and so tend to hear the highs with the hearing aids in. I know the 2 8" speakers put out great base coupled with the sub which is set at 80 on the crossover. Can any one tell me if it is normal to miss the mid range sound with the lower wattage receiver and If the higher wattage receiver will bring a smoother sound. I want to also say when I play movies the sound is incredible . The only time I wonder about the midrange is listening to music when I turn it up loud. Any suggestions.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new speakers!

The 45 watt difference will be barely noticeable between the two receivers. In very general terms a better way to upgrade would be to add an external amplifier to a receiver that has pre-amp outputs for the channels that you want the external amplifier to drive.

I think you're on the right track about the possibility of your hearing aids affecting the sound you hear. The speakers you have should be putting out excellent midrange sound, especially vocal sounds.

So then I basically have a nice system and the receiver upgrade won't matter that much. I don't know much about hooking up a reciever and a preamp. I remember back in the 70's my friends used to have tube amps and preamps with an additional reciever all hook together. They sounded incredible, however I remember they were high end and expensive. Do you have any suggestions for this kind of set up and how much it might cost? My previous speakers were a set of Cerwin Vega top ot the line in 1982. My friends father owned the company and I picked up a pair for cost. 200watts, 120 pounds with a 25 pound magnet on the woofer. They were incredible but that was pre hearing aids. I used to turn it up pretty loud. I must say the system I have now does sound great. thanks for the help. Is bi amping an option on a newer receiver with the same wattage I have now?

A lot of people on a budget use a 5 channel amp to bi-amp the front speakers and power the center channel. Using external amps for the front and center channels lightens the load on your receiver, allowing for a little more power to your surrounds, which is plenty for most of us. The XPA series from Emotiva is very popular, and considered to be a very good value.

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

or a little easier on the pocketbook

http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm