Selenium HM17-25 vs. HM25-25

KHevyg

Hello everyone,

I believe this is my first official post: I am looking at the spec sheets on each of these horns, and I have no idea what I am looking at, beyond the nominal coverage...would anyone have a moment to interpret, and offer some plain English opinions about these horns?

I am researching with the intention of building a pair of Cornscalas over the Winter, and I have selected the Selenium D220ti tweeter, as well as the Selenium D405 Sqawker (I'd like to put an FC280 on that one). I have been researching (trolling) for weeks, and I am aware of the esteemed and creative pool into which I am tapping here.

Any info is appreciated!

Gary

Hello everyone,

I believe this is my first official post: I am looking at the spec sheets on each of these horns, and I have no idea what I am looking at, beyond the nominal coverage...would anyone have a moment to interpret, and offer some plain English opinions about these horns?

I am researching with the intention of building a pair of Cornscalas over the Winter, and I have selected the Selenium D220ti tweeter, as well as the Selenium D405 Sqawker (I'd like to put an FC280 on that one). I have been researching (trolling) for weeks, and I am aware of the esteemed and creative pool into which I am tapping here.

Any info is appreciated!

Gary

Gary, welcome to the forums. What is the question?

The components you have selected so far will work for Cornscala. I believe Bob Crites sells all of the drivers you are looking for as well as replacement woofer for the K-33. Using the D-405 phenolic driver, you may want an HF crossover point of 4500hz, the Titanium will undoubtably go much higher and can possibly crossed at 6Khz. My preference for the low cost mid driver is still the PD5VH/K55 also available from Bob, and easily obtainable on the used market.

Enjoy your Cornscala project, and please post pics of your project for the rest of us to enjoy.

Dave

Hi Dave,

My question is: what is different/similar about these two horns; what are the plusses/minuses of these two? And, will one of them cbetter compliment my proposed configuration better than the other?

G

p.s. How's the hand?

The hand is recovering nicely thanks.

I apologise, but I am still unclear as to your inquary, but I will do my best.

what is different/similar about these two horns

The D405 is a midrange and the D-220ti is high frequency, neither are equipped with horn lenses they are motors only.

what are the plusses/minuses of these two

Not sure about the 220ti, as I understand it is a good performer but have never tested myself. The D-405 phenolic is an ok performer, but rolls off prematurely as compared to it's rated specifications, therefore a lower crossover point may produce better results.

will one of them cbetter compliment my proposed configuration better than the other?

For your proposed configuration these drivers need to be used together, no other options were given.

Are there other driver choices you are considering? What woofers and crossovers do you intend to use?

Dave

G,

I have done several frequency response test on the Selenium D220Ti and HM17-25 horn. I did one comparing it directly to a T35 (black trace) on the same plot. The vertical scale is 10 dB / division. That's below. I think it's one of the best for extended range and low distortion. I have also done some testing just a few days ago on a larger horn. Its response looked just as good on the larger horn.

AL K.

post-2934-13819616635122_thumb.gif

post-2934-13819620674848_thumb.gif

Forgive my obtuseness: I am asking about two different horns that are each compatable with the Selenium D220ti; those horns being the Selenium HM17-25 and the HM25-25.

It looks like the 17-25 did a fine job in ALK's testing. Sorry, I was so invoved in the body of the thread, I missed the title altogether. Makes sense to me now.

Dave

Why not just buy the Klipsch company speakers,,,After all,, they are kind enough to provide you with this site ,,,,You cant be that cheap,,, Why sponge on this site and not give some thing back,, The next thing you will do is complaine that the Khorns will be manufactured in CHINA,,

MEOW! Retract your claws, pussycat! I am very much looking forward to arranging and constructing my own pair of Klipsch-inspired speakers, based upon the input that I have taken from the jolly members of this forum. And WRT credit, I have obtained from New Mexico State University, a wonderful portrait of PWK, that I intend to place upon one of these speakers upon their completion. I'd like to think that PWK would appreciate the pioneering spirit that has been unleashed in this forum, through his genius.

So, my dear Maron, why don't you take a Clonopin and Foxtrot/Oscar? Thank you for your unsolicited input.

G

p.s. I thought the Khorns were manufactured in Hope, AR...

Gary,

You also mentioned the Selenium HM25-25 horn. Here a trace I made of the Selenium D220TI on the HM25-25 horn crossed over at 1500 hz. It is used as the HF section of a two way here in this test.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819616644606_thumb.jpg

post-9312-1381962068229_thumb.jpg

Marion,

I too believe in patronizing U.S. made goods, but consider that Klipsch allows every idea discussed on this site to proceed to its natural and logical conclusion. If this had not shown itself to be in their best interest they would have pulled the plug on it long ago! Realize too that people who start out building stuff themselves will often wind up buying a finished item after they discover what they are trying to do isn't as easy as they initially though. Then there are those who already have older items and realize through discussing here that progress has moved on and will want new. Another camp are those who simply want to guild their lily. That can lead in all sorest of directions!

Al k.