New ProMedia 2.1 Stopped Working

TSAdmiral

I recently purchased the ProMedia 2.1 directly from the company on 9/5/2010. It arrived several days later and I've hooked it up to my computer and have been using it since. I understand that the newer ProMedia 2.1s, such as the one I have, does not feature a power switch. According to research on the Klipsch forums, Klipsch support personnel have claimed that the intent is to allow customers to simply leave them on. Thus, I have never interfered with the power flow into the speakers and have simply left them on when I switch my computer off.

However, as of 9/25/2010, when I was streaming media off the internet, I suddenly heard a pop emit from the speakers and the green LED power light immediately went dim. I have switched the power on my surge protector off and attempted reconnecting all wires, to no effect. The green LED stays off. The speakers do not function. I have since removed the power cord from the surge protector until further instruction from Klipsch. I really enjoyed the speakers, but was disappointed that they didn't even last a month in. Although I thought they were superior to the Logitech Z-2300 they were replacing, I can't fault the latter for the many years of hassle-free service it provided me.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar? I assume most people on these forums are using the older ProMedia 2.1s, given the relatively newer age of the latest design. I do not pretend to be even remotely knowledgeable about circuits or internal electronics, however. As i said, I've already sent an email over to Klipsch, but was wondering if anyone might be able to provide helpful advice before they get back to me. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody knows the reason behind not having a power switch, please share. I have 3 sets of these speakers and have had issues with all 3. They get so hot you cant hardly touch them, I would think letting them cool would be a good thing. I always turn mine off when not in use but then again as I mentioned before, 2 sets dont work properly, having issues with both subs. For yours to only last a few weeks is ridiculous. These things sure sound sweet but the reliabilty is an issue.

I leave my PC speakers 24/7. recently then I noticed the back panel gets quite hot even after long period of inactivity. Not only klipsch, but altec lansing and logitech as well.

then I decided to blow it using a 80mm 12V fan via extra 12V DC adapter, or with USB (slower speed). Mount it using little blutack dots for the gap. Small laptop cooler also works. I don't know if it actually helps to protect the equipment this way, but the temperature have been decreased significantly.

I just touch the back of my subwoofer and it is just a very very very faint faint baby lukewarm. Quite hot ??? I didnt feel that.

I read that from turning it on and off, thats what make your speaker blow and die early.

After all, if Klipsch says it doesnt need a on/off switch, then why do you think so?

So still, I dont know!

• 3 weeks later...

I think so because I am not a well off person who can afford to run electric devices 24hr a day. It is hard enough to pay the ever increasing rates of the power company and this makes no logic to me.

I wish someone would explain better why power switch war removed but it appears that it causes the sub woofer to blow with the power surge over being cost effective for the consumer in saving on power rates.

I turn the surge protector off every night cutting power to all pc and modems, When the subwoofer is in use it does generate a lot of heat into the room when its inactive it is just slightly warm. I have had the 2.1 for 4 yrs and heavy use. Many power interuptions and lots of electrical storms which have caused electronics to blow including parts of my pc but the speakers workered fine. Last night while listening to music the subwoofer just died and came on for a bit sounding blown before ceasing all sound/ Perhaps this is because I turn them on and off daily, sometimes a few times daily?