Turntable "Best Bang for the Buck"

mdbrien

Thanks to all you guys for the great recommendations! I think for now I will continue to use my Technics SL1200MK2 as I just ran across a great deal on a brand new, unopen Denon DL-160 cartridge that I will try out.

My turntable has a good thick platter mat, but I will also look into a JA Michell clamp. I will post my results when I get the cartridge.

Mark

Keep in mind that 'tables and cartridges are not complete substitutes in quality improvement, IMO. I believe they both contribute in different ways, though that's hard to describe. Very good TTs can greatly improve fullness, liveliness, and depth and spaciousness. While carts can do a lot of that, a very good cart will be much smoother and have greater clarity than a so-so unit, and have much less audible record scratch. Best to have both! [:)]

Keep in mind that 'tables and cartridges are not complete substitutes in quality improvement, IMO. I believe they both contribute in different ways, though that's hard to describe. Very good TTs can greatly improve fullness, liveliness, and depth and spaciousness. While carts can do a lot of that, a very good cart will be much smoother and have greater clarity than a so-so unit, and have much less audible record scratch. Best to have both! Smile

To acheive quality improvements such as fullness, liveliness, and depth and spaciousness, can you recommend a TT and cartridge that would better serve me than the Technics SL1200MK2/Denon DL160 in or about the same price range?

Thanks,

To acheive quality improvements such as fullness, liveliness, and depth and spaciousness, can you recommend a TT and cartridge that would better serve me than the Technics SL1200MK2/Denon DL160 in or about the same price range?

I doubt it. I haven't owned a lot of equipment like some. My experience is more limited to my own combo.

Garymd and I tend to share outlooks and opinions, so I suggest you look at his recommendations and comments posted above. You might want to get in touch with him. BTW, his setup is very similar to mine, though he shrewedly obtained his as used and demo items. Probably still out of your price range, unfortunately.

I do think the Denon cart is very good, from what I've heard and heard about them. I'd be concerned about the relatively low 1.6 mv rated output -- you need to be sure it'll drive your preamp's phono input without the signal being buried in hum and noise. A talk with Needle Doctor about it might be in order. If its output proves too low, I've liked Ortofon moving magnet (MM) carts that I've heard, and those have more like a healthy 5 mv. Again, I suspect a Needle Doctor consult might be helpful.

The 'table, tonearm and cart are all important to the sound quality, so don't short-shrift the arm if you can avoid it.