Shorthorn woofers

CaptnBob

I'm currently working on spiffing up a pair of 1960 Shorthorns. Although they have consecutive serial numbers, they have different woofers and tweeters. Both woofers are Electro-Voice 15wks, with the one piece woofer cone and surrounds. However the magnet on one is humongous, while the other is much smaller and has a metal can over it with the chrome "bow-tie."

My second option is a pair of "Klipsch" woofers with phenolic accordion surrounds. They are apparently Electro-Voice "bow-tie" 15wks as well, but are painted grey instead of EV purple, and have the "PWK" logo on the dust caps instead of the usual "EV."

So my question is - is there a pecking order for the woofers in these things? Should I change out the drivers or just leave them where they've been for forty years? Should I keep sailing the ebay waves for the elusive Stephens-Trusonic woofers? (I thought I'd found an Electro-Voice match on ebay, but hadn't counted on "Vlad the Impaler" working for UPS...) This wouldn't be an issue, but the two drivers do sound a little different.

Anyway, I thought this might be a fun topic to throw open to the forum and see what you folks had to say on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Capt'n Bob

C'n B - Whichever route you decide to pursue....or more likely, whichever route presents itself to you....I would certainly strive for a sonic 'match' above all else. I think you all know by now my vote goes towards the Trusonics. They can be found, I've purchased 3 on e-bay in the last year and didn't pay more than $60 for any single unit. Saw a very nice pair of 'Tru-Blues' with a 'buy it now' of $200 a few months back. Didn't sell. Also purchased 2 EV15 WK's in the last year for a song....the seller spelled 'Electro-voice' 'electric voice' and listed them in the hobby catagory. Just chanced upon them moments before they closed and before I could bid. Seller wanted $50 for the pair and got no bidders. So I e-mailed him and had them in hand a week later.

Have tried all these as well as several iterations of K33's in my test Belle. My ears and senses prefer the Trusonics.

------------------

Ed

Shorthorns I bought one on ebay It came with 3 other klipsch speakers one of each khorn Cornwall model H (heresey). The short horn and Cornwall have the Big back 15wk EV drivers. The Cornwall sounds real real Nice the bass seems as deep as the Khorn with the trusonc in it.

The short horn sound fine to but with a lot less bass then the Cornwall.

Now reading my Late 50,s Klipsch Lit it said the Short horn Mid and tweeter were matched to the khorn in output.

so a short horn could be used along with one khorn.

Klipsch shows one khorn one short horn and a heresy in a stereo 3 way.

I think the short horn on its own might sound a lot better with a crossover mod to bring the mid and highs more in bal to the lows.

I was thinking of trying a Altec 604 in the short horn for fun.

The shorthorn being front loaded 15 might sound Good with some Altec or JBL ect.

Does You Short Horn Have the TV frount Panel?

No, they're the taller ones. It's kind of surprising the Shorthorn is a little light on bass. If you decide to try an Altec 604 Super-Duplex, make sure it will fit. The 604 is almost a foot deep and there may not be room front-to-back for it. You also might need to put an additional gasket on the front of the speaker frame so the cone doesn't rattle against the cabinet during long excursions. I tried a pair of Altec 515s in mine and had to do that. (For the record, the 515s didn't work especially well. They seemed to go deeper than the stock 15-wks, but either because the 16 ohm impedance caused problems, or they just weren't as efficient as the 4 ohm Electro-Voices, a fair amount of equalization was required to bring everything into balance.)

Capt'n Bobcwm40.gif

Capt'nBob,

What I ment by Tv model front panel is they are top of the line trim drss up kit for the short horn and Cornwall both having the same size front.The Tv panel

(which is just a nick name for it today) has that cool retro look.

When you said "they are the taller one" is the shorter one the model T short horn? That was designed as a tv stand/speaker.The model T must be very rare I have never seen a real one on ebay or anywere. looking at it specs(1957 catalog) it has much low bass responce than the tall short horn. might make a real nice center today.

what do you think of the sound of the smaller mid horn compared to the later ones as used in the corwall/heresy.

They are the "TV" fronts. (The other ones-my "parts machines" -are "kit-bashed" and look very rough.) I vaguely remember seeing one of the TV stand Shorthorns, but I can't remember for the life of me where. The problem with using one for a center channel is you'd need a corner in the center to put it in.

I don't know about the midrange horn, although the lower crossover points in the Heresy horn (700 hz) or the Cornwall (600 hz) (I think) are probably improvements. In any event, I'm sure there's a reason the Klipsch people stopped using the 1000 hz horn.

Capt'n Bob

Just found a pic of the model T Shorthorn.

In the 57 Klipsch catolog.

I came with a built in corner .

The cab net is very deep almost 3 feet and had beleved back for corner use. I love to find One.

They also made a caster base for it hidden behind a wooden skirt.