Bi-amping RF62's....

Agent Eagle

I know this topic has been talked into oblivion, but I thought I might try it, since I am back in the Klipsch realm, after being absent for 3 years. I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 driving a pair of RF62's, an RC-25, and a pair of RB-52's. The Onkyo has the ability to 'Bi-amp' the mains by utilizing the surround back channels. I hooked the RF's as normal, with the terminal straps..... One word "awesome" ! I then took the straps off and added the second set of speaker cables, changing the Onkyo settings in the mean time. I then powered everything back up, and played the same source material. I noticed right away, a difference in the smoothness of sound, coming across the high frequencies. With the straps on, the highs were 'in your face', as I like to call it. Where using the 'bi-amp' feature, it made the high frequencies more balanced and detailed. Take symbols and high hat as an example. With straps on, the high hat strikes kinda washed together, almost on the verge of harsh, where 'bi-amped', the strikes were tamed to the point you could hear the sticks hitting the cymbal on every strike. Also, without getting into the talk of current and load, in the regards to the amplifier section of the receiver, the unit is running cooler.

So, does 'bi-amping' offer any benefit ? As far as with Klipsch speakers, it most definitely does (IMO) ! Like boxers are the only dog breed I will ever own because of what they are, Klipsch is the only brand of loudspeakers I will ever own, period !!

• Moderators

That's great that it was an improvement for you.

I tried it awhile back with my yamaha and RF-83's and I noticed absolutely no difference in sound. Maybe certain receiver's or speakers make a difference or even one's sensitive hearing (I do not have audiophile ears) makes a difference. I just know for me and my situation, it was no improvement at all.

Glad it worked out with your setup though.