PLEASE:photos of DeanG RF-7 modded crossover

rugerdog

Hello,

I've been trying to get my Klipsch RF-7 floorstanding speakers tweeters tamed,for my ears,and or electronics,there's too much tweeter.I was told to parallel a 10watt 10ohm resistor with the original K;lipsch 10watt 2ohm resistor.I did so,at first I thought there was a diff,but after some lengthy on/off listening times,I find the change not very noticable.While waiting for some answers and reading other Klipsch forum posts on the subject,I was told by Parts Express that paralleling the 10watt 10ohm and the original 10watt 2ohm resistor is going the wrong way,gives something like approx 1.5ohms,that I should do it in series.

Used to be a metal master craftsman,I can do the soldering and or replcement of crossover parts,but it's difficult getting partial answers,or then told to go to a different forum thread to try and look for follow up question???

I have seen one photo of I think the DeanG modded RF-7 crossover,but I dont see the paralleled square/rectangular ceramic10watt 10ohm and 10w 2ohm resistors,I only see a,I think brown,approx 1 1/2" long,round Mills resistor.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of a difference from only paralleling the resistors,I mean instead of doing the whole crossover parts replacement.But,if the resistors should be done in series,that could be why I don't hear enough difference.

Anyways if the whole parts replacement makes a MUCH MORE difference I definitely want to do,but I ned straight forward explanation,please.

Photos will help,if photos could be provided of all sides,top and bottom.Or please tell me why if I'm supposed to use the 2 ceramic 10w 10ohm/10w 2ohm resistors,I only see the 1 round Mills .

phew! thanks

rugerdog(Dave)

The DeanG mods use the round black mills resistors that replace the square/rectangular ceramic resistors that were stock.

I tried to attached a photo of my DeanG modded RF-7 crossover. You can't see the parallel resistor since the mod requires that the resistors be placed on the back side of the circuit board since the new caps are much larger then the stock caps. Since the resistor is on the back side of the circuit board clearance is an issue so the resisitor is soldered in parallel on the side of the 2 ohm resistor.

Since you are modding a stock x-over you can use ceramic or mills resistors, the mills are considered an upgrade over the ceramic resistors.

By connecting a10 ohm resistor with the 2 ohm resisitor is the same as using one 1.66 ohm resistor which brings down the resonant peak a little. Since I purchased my RF-7's with the DeanG crossovers I can't comment on how the resistor mod will sound on a stock crossover.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Theres a photo somewhere, #0016 what shows a total of 9 items on the HF boeard!?

Shows: 5 yellow items,2 red w/white plastic surround coils on top of the board and then there would be the 2 mills paralleled underneath.For a total of 9 items?????

How can that be? Where I'm told to get 6 items from parts express and use the same 2 red coils,with the white plasic surrounding.

?????

also,theres a photo somewhere ,#0016 that shows a total of 9 items on the board.

Photo shows 5 yellow items,2 red w/white plastic surround coils,and then there would be the 2 paralleled mills underneath,for a total of 9 items on the board.

How can that be? I'm told to tp purchase 6 items from parts express,per HF board,and use the original red w/white plastic coils??? For a total of 8 items per HF board.

woops got on twice

Thanks Southern,but is only 1 photo supposed to be showing? I see what looks like other photos are to be shown,but their blank,with some sort of very small logo in the upper left corner.

????

Rugerdog,

My computer screen only shows one photo. I e-mailed you the remaining photos of my DeanG RF-7 crossover. If all you are doing is adding a resistor to your existing crossover then don't confuse my modified DeanG crossover with the stock crossover. With modified crossovers it is common to use 2 parallel capacitors to get the correct value.