Overheating

twm1010

The other day (after 3 months of flawless operation) The speakers started to crackle and distory horribly. I plugged in headphones to confirm that it wasn't the sound card and they were fine. I plugged them into the pre-amp pod and that was fine as well, so the root had to be the speakers themselves. I found the back of my ProMedia sub gets hot enough to burn my hand. After a brief cool down period (to room temp) I plugged them back in and everything is normal. Is there anything I can do to prevent overheating? I have since moved the sub out of the closet (I'm in a small dorm room) to under the desk where a cool draft comes in for the time being.

Thanks

Tom McNicholas

Also, I noticed that a friend of mine's 4.1's play out of all 4 speakers using line in, whereas mine only plays out of two. With the frequency I use that port I don't really care but it'd be nice to know if mine is defective or not, or maybe his?

Tom

putting the sub in a closet is a bad idea to start out with. limits the sound and prevent air circulation. keep it in an open area, if it does over heat, you can get distortion, and letting it cool down is a great idea, the only logical thing to do Smile.gif

you should only get stereo out of the control pod line in, consider your friend lucky. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

My unit behaved the same last November 2001. They have my sub replaced but since then, I keep a small fan blowing at the back of my sub everytime I use it.

I didn't hear any of those distortions anymore and I unplug my unit every time I'm done listening to it.

I love these speakers a lot, I don't mind the work-around just as long as I get to hear the quality I've been used to.