Klipsch F-10 home theatre + Denon Setup

brad72

Hi All.

I have just purchased my first real home theater system, a Denon AVR-791 to drive a Klipsch F-10 fronts, C-10 center, B-20 surrounds and a SW-350 sub. The room is acoustically tricky as the rear wall has 3 angle walls so the sound tends to bounce around a fair bit. The floor is wood with large rug in the center with room dimensions of 5m (L) x 4m(W) x 2.4m(h).

Initially I found the speakers far to bright with a very boomy base. My channel levels were at about +1dB to +3db for the center, fronts and surrounds and sub at -4dB, which was located in the corner of my room. I moved the sub away from the corner and re-ran the Denon Audyssey to try and sort out the harshness, which it has.

My question relates to the settings that Audyssey has come up with. It set the cross over frequency for the fronts to Full band, the center to 110Hz and surrounds to 40Hz. Base is 120Hz and LFE which is correct, and all the channel levels range from -4dB to -7dB. It had the fronts set to large which I put back to small.

Therefore, based on my speakers, should I be changing the cross over frequency of the front and surrounds up to 80Hz or leave them where they are as per Audyssey's analysis of my room. It sounds pretty good at the moment with the ear bleeding highs gone and a more accurate punchy base but the midrange is a little subdued. I understand that the with only 10 hours of use the speakers are not broken in so i guess the sound will change as time goes by.

Being an engineer i love to fiddle and need to know how everything works (much to wifes delight) but with so many settings to change I don't want to stuff things up

Thanks for your help

Brad

Brad,

Welcome to The Forum.

I do not have much advice about Audyssey.

I arrived at my settings through trial and error.

I have all my speakers set to "small" and crossed at 60hz.

I also use my receivers equalizer; each channel has its own settings.

You are probably right; the speakers will break in and probably sound a bit different (usually better) over a bit of time.

Part of it is you getting used to the sound as well.....

I suggest documenting your current setup settings and then experiment.....

For me; it's part of the fun. [:D]

I am sure someone who uses Audyssey can help you more; hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Good Luck; and welcome to The Madness that is Klipsch...... [H]

Thanks for welcome and the advice.

The Klipsch are certainly a unique speaker and sounded so much nicer to my ears than the Jamo's etc that I auditioned. Everything just sounds pure

I also have an equalizer for each channel so i'll have to fiddle some more. The biggest learning curve is the shear number of parameters that can be altered compared to a basic amp, plus getting the wife and kids out of the house so I can crank it up to really hear the difference that each change makes. I was amazed that even at -5db volume there was no distortion, the sound was just brilliant, all be it extremely loud.

One thing I am finding hard to get right mind you is finding a setting that suits the diverse music library that I listen to which ranges from death metal all the way to classical. Highs and mids are fine but the base tracks are so different between them all but like you said, the fun is in the fiddling.

Hi brad,

Audyssey can be a bit confusing at first. I'm adding a link to the FAQ section at Audyssey which should help ansewer your questions.

With your speakers I would set the speaker size to small and use an 80hz or 60hz crossover with the mains and 8ohz with everything else. If the receiver doesn't offer individual crossovers for each channel then go with 80hz. Make sure the crossover is disabled on the sub or turned all the way up. Set the phase to 0 to start with and adjust if needed.

When taking measurements make sure the mic is on a small tri-pod for best results.

Let me know if you have any firther questions.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/faq.html