Connecting Promedia 5.1 Ultras to a Stereo RCA Connection

thefluffy

The subject pretty much sums it up. I need to connect my Promedia 5.1s to a stereo RCA connection. Basically, I have 1 left channel rca and 1 right channel rca for outputs to the Promedia. Obviously, the Promedia 5.1s only have the three mini stereo jacks inputs. Any ideas on how to connect this? BTW, the source isn't a computer so there is no option for another sound card, etc.

Thanks,

Daniel

see page 3 of the promidia owners manual pdf available on this site at the products page, click on manual link, I tired to attach it, but it was too large.

you can buy a RCA to mini-plug cable anywhere audio supplies are sold.

I needed to do this exactly to hook my promedia sats to a new Logitech Z-2300 subwoofer/amp that only had RCA speaker outputs. What I did was cut the ends off one end of a set of RCA cables and separated/tinned the ground and positive wires inside and hooked them to the terminals on the promedia satellites. They sound GREAT with the Z-2300 subwoofer. The ground wire is the outside wrapping wire, the Positive wire is in the middle.

A rant--I'm really peeved at klipsch for their crappy amps in the Promedia 2.1 and Promedia ultra 5.1. There is no excuse for the failures on these amplifiers, and Klipsch not standing behind them. At least I could reuse my klipsch satellites with the new system.

post-36818-13819619946124_thumb.jpg

post-36818-13819623227088_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm confused. Are you trying to use your PMU 5.1s with a non-PC source (like a stereo receiver, etc)? Were you successful? I'm under the impression the only way to do that is to get a digital decoder like the Klipsch DD-5.1 or the Creative DDTS-100 (both of which are discontinued).

Am I missing something?

I think I totally misinterpreted the original gist of this thread. I thought the OP wanted to hook up the satellites to an RCA output (like on the Logitech Z-2300). I think your reading is correct and what the OP wants to do is hook up the SUB's miniplug inputs to RCA outputs of a normal receiver. My bad. BTW, I do have the DDTS-100 feeding a set of Promedia Ultra 5.1's and it's been working great for years and years. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Don't know if you're stiil trying to find a solution, but I think what you want is this:

Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter Convert Rca Plugs To A Single 1/8 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U3ACY

I just picked up a used Promedia 5.1 to do a Halloween haunt in 5.1, but expecting that I could use a stereo source at other times and that it would be able to play through all of the speakers (not expecting true 5.1 sound). I used to be able to do this with my Logitech z5300 system which had a 'Matrix' mode, but sold it because I wasn't ever really satisfied with its boomy bass and preferred the ProMedia 2.1. I was disappointed to find that the stereo input on the ProMedia 5.1 only passed through to the front left and right, not even the sub. I guess they didn't anticipate that people might want to use it with sources other than PCs.

I expect to receive it in a day or two and can report on how well it works.

Edit: Just got it. It's pretty small. It works as expected.