Compatible?

levelfive

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V565 7.1 AV Receiver /w Klipsch Quintet speakers and a Klipsch SW-350. The Yamaha is rated @ 90 watts per channel. I decided to upgrade last week when BB had a sale on the Klipsch VF-36 for half price. I also upgraded my sub to a Klipsch SW-450. I am getting ready to purchase two Klipsch RF-85 II and the Klipsch RC-52 II Center Channel Speaker along with the Denon AVR-4310CI http://www.crutchfield.com/s_033AV4310C/Denon-AVR-4310CI.html?search=Denon+VENDORID033&searchdisplay=Denon which is rated at 130 watts RMS both stereo and surround. My question is "Since both the RF-82's and the VF-36's are rated @ 150 watts RMS I don't see any problems there , but is the RC-52 II center channel speaker compatible since it is rated @ 125 watts RMS? Thanks in advance~

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, your receiver will be totally fine with your speakers. The "150 watts RMS" is the maximum continuous that Klipsch recommends you pushing through them. My RF-83's are rated at 250 watts RMS. I've driven them with a 100 watt/ch Onkyo, a 140 watt/ch Yamaha and now a 220 watt/ch Parasound amp. All worked great. The more power you give them, the better they sound.

The way I look at it is this way.

I drive a Nissan Sentra...you drive a Ferrari. We both can reach 90 mph....but you can get there in a fraction of the time it takes me. I'm pretty much maxed out at 90 mph where you aren't breaking a sweat.

When amps aren't "maxing out", they sound cleaner and your speakers benefit from it. When your receiver is at the top end, you run the risk of "clipping" your amp and ruining your speakers. Distortion is what typically destroys speakers, not too much power.

At normal listening levels, you may be using 20 watts of your amp. Crank it up and you begin to use more wattage from your amp.

So long story short, you will be fine using any receiver for the RC-52. You won't hurt it.