Epic CF3 problem solved

gagelle

I recently wrote about my Epic CF3s lacking the sound quality that they used to have when I bought them. I was runnung them with a mid level Dennon receiver. Then it came to me what the problem was.

When I origionally listened to these speakers, they were powered by a Harman Kardon receiver. These receivers have a reputation for quality and their power ratings are understated. They use discrete circuitry and their RMS power ratings are calculated with both channels driven. So I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 3600. This receiver produces a full sound out of the Epic's with the deep bass I remember. It also automatically calibrates the volume for each speaker to produce a good home theater sound. The calibration is very effective, as the receiver comes with a quality microphone.

The point I'm trying to make (which I think was made in a previous post) is that the amplifier quality has a significant affect on the speaker sound. (I have already received several noise complaints!) I recently won a bid on a pair of Klipsch Fortes, supposedly in mint condition. I may use these in the rear but I'm not sure yet. I know the kind of sound that this combination produces may be a mismatch for home theater but with my receiver calibrating the output, I may get a reasonable sound.

Just a note on the receiver. It goes for about $1000 on Amazon. I don't know how this happened. It may have been a posting error. But I picked up the receiver new, on Amazon for around $599 about two months ago.