Do we really need subwoofer?

Viktorio

Hi all,

First time posting to the Klipsch Community. I'm getting a pair of Klipschorns and a pair of LaScalas; I would like to test them in a 9,5 m screen vintage cinema as the three front loudspeakers believing the sound will be zestful.

Here's my questions.

I will have two LaScalas, so do I keep one just for spare parts or can I use the two both for the central channel? Do I run the risk to create bad interferences?

Before connecting a subwoofer, I would like to investigate about the result I could get if the Dolby digital sound processor sub channel output were mixed with the left, right and central channels A-chain signals and then send to B-chain and reproduced by means of the left and right corner K-horns and of the central.

English is not my native language, so I would appreciate little jargon and simple terms.

Welcome! My home space is almost exactly that size. I'm using three LaScala in the front. They will do a fantastic job! The Khorns could be better, but the LaScala are more flexible to position and aiming. If a sub is not an option use the Khorn. If you can add a sub, then use the LaScala.

The subwoofer will be your challenge in this large room. Consider a commercial sub or large DIY project. Most subwoofers made for home use will have a tough time with that much space.

Regarding using two center channels. There is potential for problems. But most of all, it isn't necessary. A single center LaScala will fill that space nicely.

First; Welcome to The Forum.

I have seen people who try to use 2 speakers for 1 center channel have issues. As mentioned; 1 LaScala should be great for a center.

You could probably sell the second for Hundreds ($4-500 or more).

Yes, you will benefit from getting a sub (maybe 2) for HT.

If you were only listening to music; you could probably skip a sub; but for HT; you NEED something that gets down lower than your speakers can go.

There are many great subs available.

I was intrigued with Epik; and HSU; but opted for the more budget friendly Emotiva Ultra 12. (Great deal in my opinion).

There are "Do It Yourself" kits and instructions available also.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=536

(Some of these kits seem like they would be REALLY GOOD).

Do a seach for "Tuba" to learn more about some projects available (from scratch).

Good Luck.

A good sub will make a world of difference. The Epik Empire is outstanding (my personal sub) and sells for $799 (retail ~$1500). They also just came out with a smaller version for $499.

Go to the AVS forum for subwoofers and read up a bit. Any of the subs that the people there regularly recommend will be outstanding. I'd say that any of those will be better than anything you have heard in a home theater setup demo in stores.

Hi all,

First time posting to the Klipsch Community. I'm getting a pair of Klipschorns and a pair of LaScalas; I would like to test them in a 9,5 m screen vintage cinema as the three front loudspeakers believing the sound will be zestful.

From your post, I am thinking this is a small cinema with a 9.5 meter screen. ( 20 foot ) I am assuming the screen is a perforated screen? I would certainly use a pair of speakers for the center channel.

Place the second Lascala upside down on top of the bottom Lascala. This ensures better coupling of the high frequency units. Use caution with the signal level as the tweeters are not able to take large amounts of power for extended amounts of time.

I would certainly suggest a subwoofer to keep up with these speakers in a theater. If you have woodworking skills as well as access to good pro sound low frequency drivers, I could suggest a design. ( B&C, 18 Sound, BMS, Eminence, etc )

There are many good products on the market, although to suggest a solution, more information is needed. How large an area in Meters ( approximately ) and how tall is the ceiling? Budget?

Also, the depth behind the screen would be needed as well - most likely 2 feet.

I have a few extra la scalas at home (6 extra). I wonder if it would be good to place the la scalas on top of each other in the way you described above for better sound. I have a dx-38 crossover that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs. That would be good for the 2 mains being 4 la scalas (2 for each main).

Would this work well?

I have a few extra la scalas at home (6 extra). I wonder if it would be good to place the la scalas on top of each other in the way you described above for better sound. I have a dx-38 crossover that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs. That would be good for the 2 mains being 4 la scalas (2 for each main).

Would this work well?

In a home environment I would think that unless you need 126 db + / 1M from each of the main channels, then a single one would be fine.

Many years ago, I heard Sean Nozworthy's system that had stacked Lascalas. I would suggest that unless your listening distance is more than 15 feet or so, you might be best to stick with one for each channel.

I'm using single LaScalas in a space the same exact size as the OP. I see no reason to consider stacking like this. They will comfortably exceed reference volume in the OP's space. 90% of guests will not stay in the room at reference volume. So what would the point be in stacking?

Agreed that the subs need to be carefully considered.