RF-7s w/ Dean Mod: XPA2 vs XPA1s vs ???

maseline_98

I'm in 3 fantasy championships today and I'm in line for at most ($1120) if I win all 3(doubtful). I"m thinking of upgrade my amplification for my 2 channel listening. I'm thinking of upgrading from an XPA5 to either an XPA2 or XPA1s(I know which one my wife wants me to go with), but I thought I would post a message on here and see what the people on here think. I have $100 in emoBucks as well...So I can get an XPA2 for $609 shipped or XPA1s for $1558 shipped....

Check out the emotiva forums in the amplifier section. Many users prefer a pair of UPA-1 over an XPA-2. I don't think you would need the extra power of the XPA-2. Having a separate chassis and power supply can help especially with crosstalk in highly sensitive speakers. I'm also of the opinion that if your going to upgrade you should go with mono amps. All this said, I don't think you would gain a whole lot from an amplifier upgrade... unless it's the last piece to the puzzle for your system. I'd look into source equipment, pre-pro's, room treatments, etc...

Check out the emotiva forums in the amplifier section. Many users prefer a pair of UPA-1 over an XPA-2. I don't think you would need the extra power of the XPA-2. Having a separate chassis and power supply can help especially with crosstalk in highly sensitive speakers. I'm also of the opinion that if your going to upgrade you should go with mono amps. All this said, I don't think you would gain a whole lot from an amplifier upgrade... unless it's the last piece to the puzzle for your system. I'd look into source equipment, pre-pro's, room treatments, etc...

I have UMC-1 as my pre. I am probably going to sell it once the xmc-1 comes out....I belong to the emolounge, but there aren't many people over there that have klipsch. I figured I would get a better answer here. From your advice, I will probably go with the upa1s or the xpa1s(depending on well Vick does tonight...have 3 fantasy champions on the line with about $1200 in winnings)....

I have $100 in emoBucks as well

Clock is ticking. Three more days to use them.

I agree with JB. You may not notice much difference between amps. What are you using for a preamp? You could try the USP-1 and see how that changes things. You'd still have some cash left over for other items in your setup.

With Emobucks and holiday pricing it's a good time to purchase. Good luck in the fantasy championships.

I have $100 in emoBucks as well

Clock is ticking. Three more days to use them.

I agree with JB. You may not notice much difference between amps. What are you using for a preamp? You could try the USP-1 and see how that changes things. You'd still have some cash left over for other items in your setup.

With Emobucks and holiday pricing it's a good time to purchase. Good luck in the fantasy championships.

WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?...I ended up winning all 3 championships....my gut says just say F' IT AND BUY THE XPA1's....but head says that I don't need an upgrade right now(or just buy the UPA1s). I'm using the UMC1 currently....

I don't know man. A nice 'problem' to have, though. It sounds like you really want the monoblocks, BUT buyer's remorse could be waiting. IMHO, I think the change will not be night and day.

You can recoup some of the cost by selling your XPA-5 after the upgrade.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

It sounds like you really want the monoblocks, BUT buyer's remorse could be waiting.

I do want the monoblocks, but I don't want the $1600 burden....but here's the catch 22. I'm going to have buyers remorse regardless...if I go with the xpa1s...the remorse will be from the amount of the purchase with minimal gain in SQ, but if I buy the upa1s...the remorse is going to set in because I'm always going to want to know about the xpa1s....DAMN THIS HOBBY....DAMN IT TO HELL...lol

• 2 weeks later...