Klipsch RF-82 - a proper amp?

ionicles

Greetings, guys! I'm currently in the process of thinking over pros and cons of the Klipsch RF-82s, and I'm definitely going for a pair of those in the very near time. Thing is, I just wanna have a few recommendations as to an amp/receiver that would properly fuel up these babies ( I mean, fuel them up in a way that they could shine in their full glory ).

Anyone?

Another thing. I'll be hooking them up to my PC ( amp first, of course ), are there any special considerations regarding proper cables or such?

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not really into this whole audio stuff, I've just started reading and although I seem to know a few things, there is still a long way to go. Firstly, I was going for a pair of Cerwin Vegas, the VE-15 ones. Then I saw some great reviews of the RF-82s, and I thought - that's my thing.

So I'm really not sure whether I want a receiver, an integrated amp or a power amp. I'm using the speakers at home, and I do not plan on using them for home theater, at least not in the foreseeable future. I want those speakers for an audiophile music listening only. The musical experience is what matters to me.

I have heard that an amp would produce a finer and more accurate sound than a receiver. Is that true?

Thank you, I think I'm gonna go for the Music Hall integrated ampie, it says it packs a 85 watt/channel, are you sure that's gonna be enough to power up the Klipsch? I mean, without a compromise in sound?

And how would the hooking up to the PC go? What kind of cables should I use?

Perhaps you should consider a receiver w/ digital inputs, since you are looking to hook your PC to it (digi out from your sound card directly to the receiver's digital input, using whatever cheap cable will work). Check out the HK3490, or for a bit more the Outlaw RR 2150. Both would drive a pair of RF82's quite nicely.

I'm not that tech-savvy - what would be the general advantage of the Outlaw receiver over the Music Hall integrated amp? Do I have to get a receiver with digital inputs as soon as I'm gonna hook it up to a PC? Doesn't the Music Hall amp have those sort of inputs?

Dang, I'm a bit confused now.

Does the Outlaw have digital input?

By the way, I forgot to mention that I am from Bulgaria, and ordering any of the aforementioned would be a bit of a hassle. I just found out the Marantz PM7200, which is available at a local audio store in Sofia, where I live. Would it be fine for the Klipsch? It would really help a lot and save me some trouble.

Ill explain some things for you so it may make it easier for you to understands the pros/cons and differences.

Receivers are good because they are an all in one package. They however can lack in the power department. Higher end brands like harmon/kardon, marantz, outlaw audio, marantz, emotiva make better quality products and yield better quality sound. the processing part of the receiver becomes outdated after many years and eventually requires an upgrade as newer technologies come out

Seperates are better than receivers because a standalone amp is designed to be just that, an amp and will almost always yield better quality power and larger quantities of it. The processor you bu seperate is something you can ditch later on an upgrade but keep your amp. Amp technology is a snails paces when it comes to new techs and amps can last 20 years without needing to upgrade. This is a more expensive way to do things but is more cost effective in the long run. Seperate amps are also often called power amps! Most of the preamp/processors and receivers now a days come with optical connectors which if your computer has optical connectors you could do it that way. I have that done with my computer and i think it works great because i have about a 30 foot run from my computer to UMC-1 which is the a/v processor from emotiva.

It sounds that you want to make a nice audiophile grade setup thats cost effective for your 2 channel listening pleasure.

Outlaw Audio makes a receiver as stated above and here is the link http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html they dont make 2 channel amps so they wouldnt much use to you otherwise.

Emotiva can be a big help with what you are doing. You can purchase a UPA-2 http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm as your amp and then the USP-1 http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm as your preamp.

Harman/Kardon is great, i have one of their receivers and i am quite happy with it. They have been around for quite some time and have always produced quality product lines. The HK 3490 would be great for you as well if you decide to go the receiver route. http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HK 3490

ionicles,

I'm not an expert in PC audio hookups, and I have no interest in receivers so I'll have to bow out and let some of the other guys help you. These things are not in my area of interest. In answer to you other question, yes 50 or 60 solid watts is plenty for most home systems however due to weak power supplies, some components can sound a bit weak even if rated at 100 watts per channel. This info is not on the specification sheet so unless you have personal knowledge of the particular piece of equipment, it's hard to know exactly how powerful an amp is. Happy hunting.

Thanx, Russ

I'm not that tech-savvy - what would be the general advantage of the Outlaw receiver over the Music Hall integrated amp?

The Outlaw is a receiver, meaning it is a radio tuner, pre-amp, and amplifier in one box, where the MH is integrated amp, meaning pre-amp and amp in one box. If you listen to the radio, the Outlaw will save you from purchasing a separate tuner. Also, the Outlaw has a digital input which you can feed from your computer, and the onboard DACs in the Outlaw are likely superior to those in your PC, unless you have some sort of music/media centric PC.

Do I have to get a receiver with digital inputs as soon as I'm gonna hook it up to a PC?

Not necessarily. Your computer can send an analog signal (e.g. from a headphone mini-jack or analog outputs from your soundcard). Using a digital signal and utilizing the onboard DACs on the Outlaw/HK would be preferrable (the analog output of your computer has it's own DAC and output stage, adding complexity and distortion to the signal; which may be completely moot unless your using hi-resolution, uncompressed music files). Having a DAC built in to your receiver is a nice convenience in the digital age, and the two receivers I mentioned are the only stereo/two channel ones that have this. In addition, both the HK and the Outlaw have bass management built in, making the addition of a sub (or two) relatively easy.

Doesn't the Music Hall amp have those sort of inputs?

No, just analog. Thats not a reason to rule it out. The MH is a fine piece and quite a bargain right now, and if onboard DACs are not a priority for you, it would probably work very nicely.

Dang, I'm a bit confused now. Does the Outlaw have digital input? By the way, I forgot to mention that I am from Bulgaria, and ordering any of the aforementioned would be a bit of a hassle. I just found out the Marantz PM7200, which is available at a local audio store in Sofia, where I live. Would it be fine for the Klipsch? It would really help a lot and save me some trouble.

I belive that the Outlaw does indeed have a digital input. And that Marantz would work very well. It's an integrated amp, so it lacks the radio tuner of the HK and Outlaw. If you listen to the radio, you can always get one of those Sony HD radio tuners later on; they are dirt cheap and will smoke just about any tuner ever made (HD radio is free, and far better audio quality than satellite radio, fwiw). And don't be confused, once you know the jargon it will all make sense. You've got your sources (disc player, tuner, computer, phonograph, music server, etc); your pre-amp, which is the control hub for switching sources, volume control; and you have amps, which boost the signal so your speakers have something to work with. Each part can be purchased separately, for a high performance, adaptable, complex system; or you can go with integrated amps or receivers, which have two or more of the components stuffed into a single chassis, for uncluttered simplicity. While some integrated amps and receivers are compromised (most of them, actually), that Outlaw, for example, would rival the perfomance of separates.

Ask yourself a few questions to help narrow down the choices. Does the amp/receiver/integrated have the power you need? (Everything mentioned in this thread so far would suffice, unless you have a HUGE room.) Next, does it have the features you need? (For example, do you spin vinyl? Look at pieces w/ phono inputs. Does the unit have the number of inputs you require? Would you benefit from one with digital inputs? Aesthetic considerations. Do you want the simplicity of integrated components, or the ultimate flexibility and upgradability of separates? Logistics -that Marantz is close by and within your budget. These are a few of the things you should consider. Just don't consider them more than they warrant or you'll end up being a screwy audiophile, more concerned w/ the gear than the music. Any of the choices listed so far would get you into the music.)

I would like to express my gratitude for you taking the time and effort to fill me in on all that info regarding the Klipsch RF-82s and a proper amp for them. I just have one question: considering I buy out an integrated amp, without a built-in DAC, would I absolutely need one to make the RFs sound nicely? How important is the DAC in a stereo chain?

Could I just substitute the DAC with a hi-end external soundcard, and if so, could you point me to some suitable choices? Something about 200 USD, perhaps?