2.1 vs 3.1 for music (mainly)

Osiris_1980

"So it is established that for music a 2.1 set up will be perfect."

Uh..., no. I guess I'm anti-establishment.

It's established fact, in the 2 channel forum, duh.

....and there seems to be some Bass "issues"! [*-)]

Dennie [;)]

Thanks for all the replies/tips guys! I was to set up my new system and hear it for the first time today.........but disaster...:-(

No sound is coming out from the front speakers however my subwoofer is still playing some bass. Have no clue whats going on, the guy that came to set it up is stumped as well and suggests I call up Marantz/Klipsch customer support on Monday. I am using 2 RF-82s with a PA-120 sub and a Marantz SR5005. Had connected the RF-82s to A (R&L) and have even tried switching them to the B and A+B setting. My Audyssey mic does not detect the RF-82s. Could this be a problem with the avr or the speakers. Everything is brand new.

Even tried playing off the ipod (front USB) and still no luck...just some deep bass on the sub (its a powered sub).

Have checked speaker connections. The Rf-82s have 2 sets of jacks at the back, am using the bottom ones for connections, and currently connected to front 'B' on the avr.

Have no clue what the issue is. Any ideas/tips? Will try to post pictures of the wires that I am using in case those could be the problem.

Thanks again for all your help thus far.

Hey Osiris, I hate it when that happens! [:@]

I'm sure it is something in the set up menu. These receivers are not just plug and play anymore. Read the owners manual, then reread it. On my Pioneer, I have to tell it the speakers are large and where to set the crossover, etc. There are distance settings, delay settings and on and on.

I bet if you go through the manual, you'll find what is keeping the mains from getting a signal.

Keep is posted and good luck,

Dennie

Hey Dennie!

Been trying to follow the quick setup. But Step 4 "Set Up Speakers" is not happening because the Audyssey mic is not detecting the speakers. Am trying some random adjustments with speaker size/crossover etc. now. Hope it works.....was so excited this morning till this happened.

Anyway, thanks for the advice buddy! :-)

Will keep you guys posted.

Look on page 37, did you press the "Amp" button before running the Audyssey?

Follow all of the instructions on page 37, that may do it.

Before proceeding, I would move the Main speakers back to "A", just to keep things simple.

Keep us posted. I want you to get this thing working!

Dennie

On pg 37, Step 4 there are 3 config options:

Normal - Set when using 7.1 channel speakers

Zone2 - Set for connecting the speakers for Zone 2 to the SURR. BACK/AMP ASSIGN terminals

SPKR-C - Set for connecting a tweeter of the front speaker to the SURR. BACK/AMP ASSIGN terminals and a woofer on the front speaker to the FRONT A terminals.

I'm using a 2.1 setup. Don't even know which one out of those to choose..:P, if i select zone 2 or spkr-c, it does not let me select F-Height

Pretty darn confusing if you ask me....:-)

I started a thread in the "Home Theater" section asking for help. I put a link to this thread.

Hopefully someone more familiar with this fine receiver will know the answers.

I just had an idea, it dosen't happen very often, but here goes........Call Marantz Support and see what they say. There should be a phone number somewhere in the owners manual. They may not answer on a Saturday, but they just might.

Hang in there Osiris, we'll get you going.

Dennie

Tried set up yet again! Am not even getting a test tone from either the right or left speaker, the sw does give out a test tone though. Checked and double checked the speaker wires, they are connected to the high frequency +/- on the speaker and A (L&R) on the AVR (no banana jacks btw, just naked wire). Audyssey is still not detecting the front speakers. Maybe the speaker wires are bad/wrong. Unless either the speakers or the amp is defective (i hope not).

Hey Dennie! Trying of all that...still no luck. Its quite strange coz i am getting video from my AVR but no sound from the speakers. Could it be that the speakers are defective?? Is there any kind of hidden/secret switch on the speakers that i need to switch on...lol...jk. ....been at this all day now..... its almost funny now.

Hey Dennie! Trying of all that...still no luck. Its quite strange coz i am getting video from my AVR but no sound from the speakers. Could it be that the speakers are defective?? Is there any kind of hidden/secret switch on the speakers that i need to switch on...lol...jk. ....been at this all day now..... its almost funny now.

Do you have another receiver or source that you can connect the speakers to see if they work?

Dennie

Hey Dennie! trying to get another receiver to check if the speakers are the problem. I am however still getting video from the AVR (through the sat box) but still no sound in the front. Audyssey still does not detect the speakers/no test tone either. Flipped the hf/lf +/- inputs on the speakers/checked the metallic connectors between the lf/hf inputs, but no luck still.

"'

The only other problem I see could be the speaker wires. The wire says "IXOS" 16/2 reduced wall CL3 E93579. No idea what that means of course...:-)