challenge: find the hidden earbuds

DCole

hey Klipsch fans, can you go 'detective' for me on this one? I absolutely cannot find a single pair of earbuds on the market that come with ALL of these (simple and obvious?) features:

• in-ear design (for better bass)
  • ear clips (for when I sweat)
  • tangle-resist cord (like Dr. Dre Beats, and others)
  • pause button (for ipod)
  • quality sound (like Klipsch Image S4i)
  • noise-canceling
  • assorted sizes of silicone rings

...and in case somebody replies "nobody makes in-ears with ear clips", that's actually not true, because I just saw a pair of them at Best Buy last weekend, that have the silicone in-ear design WITH ear clips — BUT no pause button and no tangle-resist cord!

I don't care if I have to pay $70, $100, $120 etc. but I can't figure out why I'm the only person who wants ALL of these features!!??

thanks for your help! -dave

You don't want noise canceling AND in-ear. That is either superfluous OR compensation for poor in-ear design.

Well not necessarily for all people.... when I mow or do other noisy yard work I'll use my passive Pro Ears hearing protectors so I can hear my Image x10 or Custom 2 better. Even using the double flange.

Noise cancelling in in-ear would be crazy expensive. But not superflous for everyone.

I think it's Coytee who uses his Pro Ears active noise cancelling hearing protection with his Custom 3 in ears.

Well you are correct in that I don't think I'd want the noise cancelling built into my X10s or Custom 2s But to cancel the noise before it gets to my ear. Yeah. I wouldn't mind the active Pro Ears but the passive lower the environmental noise but get that hot ears feature of over the ear sealed ear phones.

There is a huge difference between a headphone providing noise cancelation and an external device providing noise cancelation before it gets to the headphone. It will always be better with a secondary device simply because you have the headphones doing less work while sending out the actual signal from the source as opposed to extra waves to block out external noise.

I can see why in certain situations, where things are incredibly loud, supplemental noise cancelation would be helpful with noise isolating headphones. However, I'd wager that custom in-ear monitors would be at least nearly as effective with better sound quality, comfort and more portable (no extra power source).

That might be something to look into. Klipsch headphones aren't really made for something like that but UltimateEars and others are.

Guys thanks for your insightful responses. Now I see that I should have left "noise-canceling" out of the list of what I'd like to find in a quality set of earbuds. Let me re-phrase that list:

• noise-isolating
  • in-ear
  • with ear clips
  • tangle-free cord
  • pause button on cord

It seems to me that this would be such a popular combo, but that it just does NOT exist!!??

They do exist. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vi. Around $300. The headphones are noise isolating. They are in-ear monitors (IEM). The ear clips are built into the cables and wrap around your ears for a secure fit. The cord is sturdy, thick and thus relatively tangle-free (no such thing as an "untangleable" cord). There is a pause button plus microphone on the cord.

They are great headphones at a decent enough price (When I was buying Ultimate Ears headphones, the SueprFi 5 were around $300 and these were around $500!). If you have smaller ear canals they probable won't fit in, as with most of Ultimate Ears earlier "universal fit" models. I enjoyed my UltimateEars for a very long time, they used to be incredibly comfortable for me. That was until I got some beta Klipsch headphones several years ago. As soon as the official models were released, I put away the UltimateEars. They sound great but the comfort simply cannot compare to the Klipsch.

But as far as your requests for a headphone, these first the bill exactly and they have been around for quite some time. Read some reviews and if you think it's for you, buy them. For me, I have no issues with the Klipsch headphones staying in. With either the silicon gel tips (especially the double flange ones) or the Comply foam tips (after market) so ear clips aren't important to me, especially at the sacrifice of size and comfort.

Hope this helps.