Vintage Marantz vs Carver

GaryA

I have a friend who is interested in a Marantz 1050 30w/ch amp from mid 70's and is also looking at a Carver from mid 80's I think. What kind of input does anyone have when the choice would be one of these two? I'm not sure of the model # of the Carver. Was Carver giving good value as far as build quality and sonic performance as the Marantz? My friend will be visiting this board and I'll direct him to read your responses. He also was interested in what currently available bookshelf speaks he could match with his amp choice. I recomended the RB-5 since it has the efficiency he's looking for with lower wattage amps. Thanks, Gary.

• Like 1

This is impossible to answer without knowing the specific model Carver we're talking about.

The 1050 is a member of the series of integrated amps Marantz produced back in the 70's. It has bass and treble controls and a balance control on "sliders". I think it was around 30 watts/channel. I had both a 1030 and a 1060, which were similar. I liked the sound, but the bass was not very extended or tight. Nice midrange. A little noisey as they get older.

Which Carver?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray is on the money, as usual. Like everything else in life, there is good and bad in the Carver line-up. Your (friend's) choice also depends on what kind of equipment he plans on hooking up to the Carver. Carver's Magnetic Field Amps (M1.0t, 1.5t, etc.) may not be the best choice for hooking up to highly sensitive speakers like Klispch, because the hum associated with the amp's transformer will come right through the speakers. On the other hand, I run Carver TFM 35x's and they are quiet as the proverbial church mouse through my Klipsch -- no easy feat when paired up with speakers ranging from 98 to 101 dB sensitivity. So it all depends.

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 04-12-2002 at 11:34 AM