HK 730 vs Sansui AU-717

HOGFAN

After reading/hearing all the praises for the old HK twin-powered receivers, I just won a 730 off an auction site. I can't wait to get it and try it out. I am currently using a Sansui AU-717 with my La Scalas.....which sounds good. Will I hear much improvement with the HK 730? I needed an extra amp anyway.....the loser between the two will end up pulling shop duty.

Thanks!

Hogfan

The Sansui AU-717 is a great amp (and I will certainly be keeping mine) with loads of power. It is my first "old school" amp and I can tell a big difference in sound compared to my HK AVR 347. I am somewhat new to all of this, but I think it is a worthy amp. I needed an extra amp for my workshop, and have seen all the great reviews on the HK 730, so I jumped on it. Again, I will see which amp mates the best with my LS's and the other will get reassigned.

Hogfan

I have owned both the 717 & the HK 930. I think which you like best will depend on your listening preferences.

The 717 is more powerfull with more bass & is faster, the down side is it is also colder & a tad grannie, compared to the HK that is smoother -softer more rounded like a good tube sound.

If your mostly in to rock chances are you will prefer the Sansui. Have you tried changing the sound of your Sansui with the switch on back that will change from "direct coupled to Transformer coupled? Considerable difference in sound there. Also you could consider puting a tubed pre in front of the Sansui, That makes a big smoothing effect

best of luck with both..

Cornman

Cornman

Cornman,

I appreciate the feedback.

The "switch on the back" of the Sansui is new to me.....I'll have to look at it tonight and experiment.

Between the two amps, which is overall better in your opinion?

From my standpoint, with LS's, I am looking for the best overall sound I can get, without getting into tubes. I listen at moderate levels....not low and not at house shaking levels. From a sound standpoint, I'm looking for quality over quantity, but with enough power to satisfy.

Thanks,

Hogfan