Rc-64 problems help!!

calgarytrev

Hello all, I'm just starting to get back into HT and bought an rc-64 after being not so blown away by the 62. When I'm watching a movie( let's say transformers) it almost seems like there is more vocal and mid sound coming from the left side 2 speakers than the left. They seem somewhat flat and almost dead sounding, however when there is a big action sequence going on I can see just as good excursion from the right as the left in the woofers. Has anyone had any experience with this? Something with the crossover maybe?

Calgarytrev,

Welcome to the forum.

Hello all, I'm just starting to get back into HT and bought an rc-64 after being not so blown away by the 62. When I'm watching a movie( let's say transformers) it almost seems like there is more vocal and mid sound coming from the left side 2 speakers than the left. They seem somewhat flat and almost dead sounding, however when there is a big action sequence going on I can see just as good excursion from the right as the left in the woofers. Has anyone had any experience with this? Something with the crossover maybe?

This thread should clear things up for you.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/142071/1448243.aspx#1448243

Bill

Thanks this foes help but I would like to know if anyone has done like I have and listened closely and heardthe difference in the 2 sides of the speaker threw the frequency range?

Trevor,

I have done that before and just tried it again and do notice suptle differences when very close(4 to 10 inches) to speaker but from all seating positions, I hear no discernable difference. I played CD's and listened to TV shows and movies and walked from one side of room to the other back and forth and heard no change.

Bill

Don't get me wrong it sounds good but I think it should be better. It could be my avn 2808 maybe a little under powered?

Trevor,

Is the RC-64 aimed directly at ear level in your main seating position? Is a coffee table or the like impeading direct aim at your ears? I have my RC-64 bumped up a couple of db's more than my RF-63's to compensate for distance form seating position and for clearer and louder dialog.

Bill

Yes the image is definetly centered, I've also used audessey to set up then SPL meter to match everything. Don't get me wrong it sounds good but I think it should be better.

I'm guessing you have a Denon AVR-2808? Maybe not what I would buy (I'm a 2 channel guy) but it should be OK. In what ways do you feel the sound could be better? What is your scource?

Thanx, Russ

I am a fan of 2 channel as well! My source is marantz bd7004(hdmi for blu ray and RCA 2 channel). I'm just finding that action seems fine and enjoyable but the vocals and voice seem somewhat lacking compared to my buddies focal. I don't know if it's because he's running a much larger receiver ( onkyo 3007 ) or what. As for the location of the speaker it's below my tv aimed up slightly below listening level. I have a table in front but move it when I watch movies. It's mostly in action scenes where there is dialog.

In a conventional horizontal, WTW (woofer, tweeter, woofer) center channel both woofers are in parallel (seeing the same signal) and respond up to the crossover frequency of say 2000 Hz where the horn tweeter takes over. The problem with this approach is pronounced hot spots and nulls in the response as your listening position moves to the left or right of center. In other words the tonal balance of the speaker is inconsistent or varies quite a bit as you move laterally off of the tweeter axis. The cause of this is common midrange information coming from two different acoustic sources (locations) on the front of the speaker.

A tapered array takes one of the woofers and rolls off it's upper frequency range at a lower point than the other woofer. This gives one acoustic source for middle and upper midrange frequencies (the other woofer and the horn tweeter). Both woofers still contribute to bass and lower midrange frequencies, which are less directional, and the lateral dispersion from one end of the couch to the other is now more consistent. I hope this helps.