Jensen RF filter to eliminate ground loop

SuBXeRo

I still have a ground loop in my system and im almost pissed off enough to start ripping things apart. How exactly does the jensen rf filter work, i believe my ground loop is comming from my cable which is split to my internet and tv. Ontop of that i have a router on all of that and everything is hardwired, to my tv and to my computer. My ground loop could be quite extensive. None the less, how does the jesen rf filter work and does it affect picture/sound quality and if not, how does it avoid ruining sound/picture.

can't speak for the jensen product, but typically all brick wall type ground loop interrupters are based on diodes placed in series and two sets of these are used in parallel. one set in each direction. what happens is that all voltage above the value of the diodes forward voltage drop (about .5 volts) is conducted. anything below the diodes forward voltage drop is not conducted. effectively, this disconnects the ground when the voltage to ground is less than .5 volts and reconnects it if there is ever a ground fault condition higher than .5 volts . when using these types of brick wall devices, the current rating of the device has to support the total expected max load. so yes if they work on ground loop interruption using brick wall techniques, they work and they do not lower the signal quality. EMI concepts, another story.

post-22082-13819636458632_thumb.png

here is an emi filter. this won't stop ground loops. emi filters reduce noise in the same manner used to manage music in crossover networks. the coils attempt to increase the path the noise would take while the caps offer a short route. these effect signal quality since these operate on a sloping pricipal and the slope ends often are in the signal band.

post-22082-13819636458982_thumb.jpg

if you disconnect your internet, cable tv, sat dishes and other coax things coming into your HT system, does the hum stop. if it doesn't, this device won't help.. if it does, how many would you need...need to figure out which coax run is the sources. what changed in your house. new light dimmer? new audio or game thing connected to your HT? new surge non protector? something had to have changed.......

for starters, i live in an apartment, so right there is issue 1. I have had the hum since i got my emotiva amp and processor. The hum also seems like it comes and goes, either that or i am just not paying asttention to it because of other ambient noises (fridge, a/c or heating).

I have everything plugged into my APC surge supressor/conditioner. The only thing that could cause a ground loop would then be the coax or something traveling through my router. I have a sub right now that i bought and am selling and i use it to gauge my ground loops and it hummmms, o does it hum. If i disc the interconnect, hum goes away so i know its not the sub. I am in part also thinking that the UMC-1 is sensitive to ambient rf waves or something or the amp is.

Be aware that HDMI cables will also create a loop with your processor and cable box. If you run HDMI into your processor / receiver, there's a good chance that's where the majority of your hum is coming from. If that's the case, an excellent fix is to bypass the receiver completely in the HDMI chain, and run the audio from the cable box using fiber optic.

fiber optic is only limited to 2 channels. The UMC-1 i have will not let me change the sound field types with an optical connection, it stays in stereo unless you use direct input. I like to choose different sound fields, mainly doly pllx, but you are right, at one point i did have a ground loop via that but i unplugged allt he cables the other day one at a time and the hum was still there.

fiber optic is only limited to 2 channels.

Perhaps only in the given situation. Fiber optic carries a multi-channel signal just fine.

The UMC-1 i have will not let me change the sound field types with an optical connection, it stays in stereo unless you use direct input. I like to choose different sound fields, mainly doly pllx,

It seems like somethings not setup right, because on page 35 of the UMC-1 owner's manual, it indicates the sound field processing you enjoy most can be applied to any of the digital inputs. Are you certain your signal sources (PS3 , etc.) are set to output "bitstream" over their fiber optic outputs and that the UMC-1 is configured to recognize it as a legitimate digital input per pages 29 & 34?

http://www.emotiva.com/umc1/manual.pdf

... but you are right, at one point i did have a ground loop via that but i unplugged allt he cables the other day one at a time and the hum was still there.

If that's the case, lift the ground on the UMC-1 using a cheater plug. Then unplug and bypass that HDMI from cable box again. That'll spell relief. I also had bad hum problem with my subwoofer when I tried to use HDMI to feed audio to my receiver from the cable box, I feel your pain bro.

Ill have to test, it all out and see. I just hate troubleshooting the system because it always makes a huge mess and everytime i touch somethin its like another thing changes haha.

Doing an optical cord change though should be easy and ill test that out.

As for the 2 channel comment, i realized, my computer was only presenting a signal in 2 channel, not multi channel so that could be why i had no multichanne loptions

so i think that my umc-1 is creating a ground loop in itself or something. I troubleshot to hell and back yesterday and today. I ripped apart the whole system. I disconnected all of my rca cords from my amp and it eliminated my ground loop hum. I connected my rca back to my processor, just the amp and processor, no other connections and the hum came back. I connected them both to my apc power system and the hum was only in one channel mostly and then less in my center and almost non-existent in the right channel and none in the rear. Today, i have consistent hum in all of the speakers. Im doing huge face - palm slap.