Which Preamp to mate with Sansui AU-717?

HOGFAN

I currently have a Sansui AU-717 that I really like, but would like to help improve the sound (make it a little smoother). I have been told that adding a good preamp to it will improve the sound considerably. So, I am looking into my options.....say with a budget of around $500. A pre with a remote would be nice, if possible, but not a deal breaker. I assume that I should be looking for a tube rather than a SS pre, but unsure which brands/models would be best. Used would be OK.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Hogfan

The 717 phono EQ only uses eight transistors per channel and holds to RIAA +-0.2db. The preamp is a very good one.

Generally, the best match of preamp to power amp is the one that already exists in an integrated amp.

I've
tried using a tubed preamp with solid state powers amps before with
considerable disappointment, be careful if you take that route.

If
the reason for seeking an outboard preamp has to do with some
disatisfaction in the sound, be sure to check and adjust the amp just to
eliminate variance as a cause.

The two things you can check and adjust easily yourself with a volt/ohm meter are the DC offset voltage and output transister bias current for both channels. The like here is to the AU-717 Service Manual. Adjustments are in Section 4.1 page 2.

My system consists of an HK 347 AVR and the Sansui AU-717. I had the them connected, using the HK as the pre, with my LS's on the Sansui, and my center and surrounds on the HK. For music, it is just OK, for any of my sources run through the HK. When connected directly to Sansui, I hear a big improvement.....but a little warmer sound would be nice. I recently picked up an HK 730, which I really like, but was thinking of using it for workshop duty. I like the excess power with the Sanusi, but it is not as warm/smooth as the HK 730. Just trying to find a way to improve sound with Sansui and someone in an earlier thread mentioned that adding a good preamp (tube, if I recall correctly) would warm up the sound of the Sansui.

When connected directly to Sansui, I hear a big improvement.....but a little warmer sound would be nice.

Well son, let me be straight with you. Solid State gear from the 70's doesn't usually sound all that great, even if there are a lot of guys here using vintage SS amps. Mix that with a LaScala and I'd be wanting something warmer also. The cheapest thing to do would be to run your disc player (what ever your source is?) through a tube DAC. That's a bit of a band-aid, what you really need are some decent separates, rather than old used receivers. I've got my flame suit on so fire away.........

Here is something that would fit your budget and probably make your AU-717 sound a lot better and last a lot longer. Have the Sansui re capped with quality electrolytic caps through out. At the very least it will sound a lot better and it won't go south taking your speakers with it. It's well past the best before date on the factory caps. Elna Panasonic Nichicon a host of companies all make very good sounding electrolytic caps. Works for me. Best regards Moray James.

A good friend just rebuilt and hotrodded a Sansui AUD-11 Mkll sounds wonderful kicks but.