Well, I finally did it!

skonopa

I finally went and did it. I bought a complete set of Klipsch speakers! For the fronts, a pair of KF-3 IIs. For the center, a KC-3 II, for the sourrounds, two pair of Synergy SS-1s and for a sub, KSW-10. All these are hooked up to a Denon AVR-3802. Yes, this may not be the top of the line, but for the shape and size of my living room, this is more than enough! I would consider this setup top of the midrange or bottom of the top-line. I have seen what even higher end audio costs - the only way I am going to get something like that is if I win the Big Game jackpot Smile.gif. I got nearly all of it all hooked up using Monster Cable. I think spent nearly $600 just on cabling alone!

I would love to have something like 'TheEars', have, but jesus christ, I may be a software engineer, but damn, I am not exactly Bill Gates or even Will Wright or Sid Mier! I wanted something that sounded awesome, but not bankrupt me (plus I wanted to be able to pay cash for it - not end up in debt for the next 20 years).

I got it all hooked up except the second pair of SS-1s since Tweeters ran out of them and wont get that pair in till Monday. What I got hooked up though - oh my god! Have you ever had that feeling after a satisfying night of sex? Still got some tweaking around with it to do (any helpful tips?).

This is upgraded from Infinity RS2000.5's for the front, a stock Yamaha Center and stock Yamaha Sourrounds all hooked up to an ancient Yamaha RV-702 reciever. However, I am going to re-use the Yamaha sourrounds (NS-A427s) for the point surrounds for listeing to audio (the 'B' sourrounds for those familier with the operation of a Denon AVR-3802). These are good sounding speakers and should suffice for that need for now (may eventually get something a little nicer to closer match the rest of the system in the future).

My old system? I'll set it up in the game room in the basement. It'll give me something much nicer than the little shelf system that is currently down there to listen to CDs on while shooting some pool or playing the pinball machine. Those Infinitly RS2000.5 tower speakers are still nice speakers (I would go out on a limb and venture on par with the mid-range Klipsch Synergy speakers (SP-2?).

Needless to say, I am totally excited! Ahhh, audio bliss in the living room at last!

Steven K.

Fredericksburg, VA

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Congratulations and ENJOY SKONOPA!!!... that's what the consumer end of this business is all about.

Not to worry, the "Tweaker/Seeker Syndrome" was included in your upgrade at no extra charge so that one day, you too, will have the sound system of your dreamscwm32.gif ... if not the bank account of your nightmares. cwm34.gif

cwm40.gif Enjoying your ears until your brain revolts is the way to get the most bang for your buck while locked in the mortal coil of eternal upgrades.

Just remember to recite...

Don't worry, be happy... for the horns that you chose

Klipsch & cash left over... instead of buttons and Bose.

Smash.gif Now get back to work and build those personal surpluses... our favorite speaker company is building from Hope to Indy... and is eager to keep you on a skonopa roll... cwm12.gif -HornED

PS: On Monday, you might change the second set of SS-1's to SB-1's or SB-2's for the back wall and solidly improve your HT rear array. cwm27.gif

------------------

Pic6.jpg

Old photo shows Klipsch SB-2's on Front Effects stands.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-14-2002 at 11:38 AM

Thanks - yes, it is like christmas in April (lets just say this is a very expensive easter present to myself Smile.gif.

As for replacing the second set of SS-1s with SB-1s. I'll have to consider that, especially since I don't have the second set of SS-1s yet (they are on backorder, will be at Tweeters on monday - I can still tell them to scratch the SS-1s and get me the SB-2s instead). The documentation for the AVR-3802 showed some diagrams saying that dipole speakers where preferable for both sets of surrounds, which is why I figured that two pair of SS-1s should be good.

Thanks

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

TV - Sharp 32J-S400 (32 inch)

(yes, I know its old, but hey, it still works and has a great picture - will eventually get an HDTV set)

DBS - RCA Direct TV/ Ultimate TV

DVD - JVC XV-S65GD

CD - Sharp DX-200

(Yes, it is over 12 years old and has no remote, but still sounds awesome)

VCR - Sanyo VHR-9413

(This will get updated to something with S-Video output)

Fronts - Klipsch KF-3 II

Center - Klipsch KC-3 II

Surrounds - Klipsch SS-1

Back Srd - Klipsch SS-1

Point Srd - Yamaha NS-A427

Subwoofer - Klipsch KSW-10

skonopa while many folks enjoy an abundance of "sound sprayers" to fill the room with ambiance... IMHO, one set may be more than enough.

SS-1's were the first speakers to use the Klipsch WDST technique (according to the Klipsch Home Audio section) and bring out the best from dated ProLogic sources. This speaker when mounted on the sides with the woofer toward the sweet spot sprays horn tweeter effects toward the front and rear walls to bounce around and provide a "blanket" of diffuse sound.

Before you become a "two-blanket" household, consider this. The current 5.1 (and above) movie mixing technology (and multi-channel music... especially SACD) assumes a rig with five (or more) identical monopole speakers. Today's mixing trends and technologies allow a background of ambient sound to be projected from monopole speakers... plus having the ability to create the illusion of discrete sounds that can be localized anywhere in the 360° surrounding your sweet spot.

In effect, dipole or tripole speakers create an additional sound diffusion beyond the one anticipated by the sound engineers who did the original mix for home use... at least in the emerging crop of DVD's and multi-channel music. However, I will admit that poorly mixed DVD's and source material that is LESS than 5.1 quality can be enhanced by the WDST approach.

Switching the second set of SS-1's to SB-2's will probably save you money and definitely give you better quality discrete sound for your money. The SB-1's will save you even more money... but the sound generated by the SB-2's is more robust having both a "full size" Tractrix® horn AND a larger woofer. The closer all your speakers are to the timbre of your Mains... the happier you will be.

The bookshelf speakers (SB-1's & 2's) are bass reflex enclosures with rear ports... so they must be a few inches from the back wall. I chose to mount mine on ABS pipe stands but I also have used simple shelves to good effect. Bass reflex enclosures tend to get more sound out of small, cost-effective, packages and thus they would provide more "oomph" to your rear array.

So now you know why my HT upgrade path has led me to having six big KLF-30's and a pair of KLF-C7's for front effects. -HornED

Thanks for the explaination and your opinion on the matter. Now that I think about it after reading your posting, I think I will go ahead and do what you suggest (as well as save a good $100 or so on the speakers). If I end up not liking it, hey there is nothing wrong with exchanging them back for the SS-1s I originall intended. I was always under the impression that dipoles were the better speakers for home theater (hey, I am still learning this stuff - I just want to get the best system for my money that I can afford without going bankrupt).

I did already make one change in my setup, however. I exchanged the KSW-10 with a KSW-12 subwoofer. The KSW-10 was just not quite enough for the size of my room (about 15 x 15 plus or minus a couple feet). The KSW-12 turned out to be the better match (and for only $150 more).

I'll admit, those folks at the local Tweeters (brand new store - only opened up last Tuesday - yes we now have a Tweeters here in Fredericksburg!) have really been good. Far better service than I have ever manage to get out of the people working at Circuit C(Sh)ity or Best Buy.

Thanks

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Reciever - Denon AVR-3802

TV - Sharp 32J-S400 (32 inch)

(yes, I know its old, but hey, it still works and has a great picture - will eventually get an HDTV set)

DBS - RCA Direct TV/ Ultimate TV

DVD - JVC XV-S65GD

CD - Sharp DX-200

(Yes, it is over 12 years old and has no remote, but still sounds awesome)

VCR - Sanyo VHR-9413

(This will get updated to something with S-Video output)

Fronts - Klipsch KF-3 II

Center - Klipsch KC-3 II

Surrounds - Klipsch SS-1

Back Srd - Klipsch SS-1

Point Srd - Yamaha NS-A427

Subwoofer - Klipsch KSW-10

Also to add, I have seen some of your other postings, espacially in that long thread regarding Justin's planned home theater and did finally come to consenous that your suggestion as using the SB-2s as the rear surrounds will be much better than the SS-1s. I am going to keep the current SS-1s, especially when you consider that alot of material that I still watch, such as regular TV from my Ultimate TV reciever, broadcast TV from my trusty old big arial antenna, plus the many video tapes I still have in my collection (I just only in the past month got my first DVD player) can only be watched using the Dolby ProLogic surround, plus my room is big enough that the spreading of the sound seems to help. I guess the fact that we are talking DISCRETE 7.1 format here makes more sense to use a set of speakers as close to your mains as possible.

When I go get my speakers, I'll tell them to exchange the SS-1s for a pair of SB-2s.

Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

Hey skonopa!

I too am a software engineer. cwm3.gif. And just like you, I just got my first klipsch system. However, I started from scratch because I didn't anything but a TV and DVD. Got it yesterday but still have not had a chance to get it setup. And like you, I have to wait for my surrounds. They are on back order. Bums me out, but what can ya do. I need to figure out if I can still play my center without the two surrounds. Or am I stuck in stereo mode until they arrive. cwm31.gif

Anyway, congrats!

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-15-2002 at 11:39 AM

Well, I went and did as 'HornED' suggested and substituted the SB-2s for the seceond pair of SS-1s that I was originally going to get. While doing so, I explained to the sales person at Tweeters why I thought the SB-2s would be better (basically saying what HornED told me). The manager of the store overheard and he agreed that I did the right thing by making the change. Tha change also saved me a few dollors - not bad, not only will I get a better sounding system out of it, but even saved some money Smile.gif.

Thanks for the suggestion 'HornED'. That will pretty much complete my system for now. I'll admit that this is definitly on the low-end of the high end systems that I hear talked about on here, but I am willing to bet it is far better than the typical home theater setup that most people usually have. For the money and size of the room, this setup should keep me satisfy for several years. Yes, the dreaded "upgrade bug" will most likely haunt me (it sure does when it comes to PCs - geez, if you only knew what I have tied up in computers in this place Smile.gif, but I am very satisfied with what I have now.

thanks for all your help - I'll still pop in every now and again to see what is going on.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".