Guitar amp to Heresay???

johnatram

Brand new here...Please help as I am NO "stereo or electronics guy". I am original proud purchaser/owner of a pair of 1984 walnut Heresy's and risers. These have truly less than 150 hours playing time and have been wrapped, oiled, and stored correctly for years. The backs and grills have never been off. They are perfect and sound amazing. We know they are ultra efficient and are almost too loud for the small living room at 2 1/5 watts out of my vintage Luxman receiver...

Question: I have a quality small wattage guitar amp ( 5 watts ); it is 4 ohms speaker...I understand my Klipsch are 8 ohm units. Can I disconnect the onboard 5" speaker and wire direct out to one of my Heresy's without damage to either unit??? There is NO PA out hook-up on this amp as many have...only headphones/out.

Any reply would be appreciated.

yes. if the amp gave you 5 watts using the internal 4 ohm speaker, it will produce less using the external 8 ohm speaker, but, odds are that the speaker efficiency will offset the lower watt output.

To use the amp and Heresys to playback music from CDs or something, it won't hurt the amp or the speakers, but won't sound very good because the amp is a guitar amp. It has a limited frequency response in the range of probably 50Hz-10KHz and it is not flat, little bass and tipped up in the 3K area. It will have the sound of a portable radio and be pretty poor for listening. But, connected to a proper musicalinstrument speaker it will sound just right.

To use the amp for playing guitar through the speakers; please don't do that. You will mess them up. HiFi speakers are not designed to be pushed to their limits and they are fragile compared to musical instrument amplifier speakers, which are much tougher and designed differently - everything is stronger, the voice coil, the coil mounting, the cone design, the way the cone is attached to the frame, etc. The dynamics of playing a guitar are very high and will stress the Heresys. The signal from a guitar is not like the signal from a music source like a CD. Regular musical instrument speakers roll off the lows around 100Hz and the highs roll off about 6KHz. They are built to withstand voice coil heating, high cone excursion, and distorted or peaky dynamic signals; the Heresys are not designed for that at all. The Heresys would sound very thin and tinny, which would lead one to shift the tone to the bass end to get the right sound. They aren't made to play that kind of signal.

Don't mix HiFi speakers with musical instrument speakers. Keep the Heresys hooked to the HiFi stuff. You can buy a real musical instrument external speaker cabinet for about $100 that will match the amp just fine and sound much better.