Help with KSW 12

AUGIE

My 8 year old KSW 12 finally died on me, I think. I'm not getting any sound out of it at all, and even the LED red light is not on. I pulled the fuse and it dosen't look fried, I checked the outlet and it is giving power. Even if it's the cable or the AVR shouldn't I still get the red LED light on? Any ideas? Thanks

• Like 1

I got the number and bought the fuses. Sadly as soon as I replace the fuse and plug the sub in it make a hum noise and blows the fuse within a second or two. Any ideas what could be wrong???

Edit- I took the panel off to inspect everything, no burn marks everything looks brand new. All my research shows people with this issue but no one has posted solutions. I really don't want to send it off and pay 160 dollars to be repaired.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have been having the same problem for a few days now. my sub worked for years flawlessly,i moved to my new house got everything hooked up and my sub did not come on. it only took about two fuses to realize there was a big problem. so as i always do i started googling solutions. it was kind of disapointing to realize that nobody that i had seen was able to fix the problem, they just replaced the whole amp. well in my case i believe the problem is the 470uf 200v capacitor. ive got a few ordered from electronicgoldmine .com. i didnt see the right ones at parts express. klipsch limits your space in that particular spot to replace this capacitor so it was somewhat hard to find the right size. when i get one soldered in i will def post results and let you know if that fixes it. im very confident though [:D]

• 6 months later...

Augie:

Don't know if you still have your issue with your KSW 12, however I had the same problem with mine. I have some electronic knowledge and began isolating my problem. I found that my problem was the switching power supply. I had a shorted MOSFET on the board. There are 4 of them (all in line) on a black heat sink held in place with spring clips. I changed all 4 of them and was back in business.

You need to know how to test a MOSFET, how to source the right replacements and have very good soldering skills so as not to damage the circuit board. Also, there are dangerous voltages on the board, so if you're not experience, leave it to a pro.

But that is what cured my dead sub, now the wife is complaining again....

• 3 months later...

I do not remember the part number but I found them on eBay. I have been running the sub HARD since I replaced those power supply MOSFETS, with NO issues since.

I did have to replace the power fuse (in the socket on the back panel) along with changing the transistors as the shorted MOSFET ate the fuse.

There was no question the transistor was bad, when removed from the circuit it checked shorted, I replaced all 4 of them just to be sure/safe.