To LFE or Not to LFE, that is the question I ask of thee

m00n

Ok, I am reading about the RSW-12 sub. It says about the input:

quote:

LINE IN
This input is designed as a general purpose input for the sub. Depending upon the position of the "Low Pass Enable/Disable" switch, this input can either be filtered by the built-in Low Pass(LP) crossover, or unfiltered for use as an LFE input with an external crossover.

Ok so what is LFE?

Do I want LFE Enabled or dissabled?

What polarity do I want 0/180?

Oh and one more VERY important question. This sub has two speakers, yet only one cover. That just scares the crapola out of me considering I two boys. A one year old and a four year old. Little boys like to poke at things. Can I go down to some store and get a metal grill and mount it to the sub cabnet with wood screws without voiding the warrenty or having a bad affect on the sound of the sub?

------------------

m00n's lunar system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-15-2002 at 02:04 AM

moon, please do read the attached for a good explanation of the dif between low bass and LFE.

when you hook the the rsw to the sub preout as you should imho, you want the "LFE" low pass crossover switch on disable. i'd leave it there unless you want to switch it back/forth for 5.1 vs 2-channel.

on the hk, set sub:yes/on & i'd set all speaks to small

to start. you can try switching just the front rf-3 to large & see if the bass quality deteriorates any. most find it sounds best to leave all small & let a good sub handle the low bass though.

as for the phase, have the wife switch it back/forth for you while playing some real bassy material. leave it where you get the most bass impact. if you don't hear any dif as many don't, leave it on 0.

can't help much on the last part. sorry.

------------------

My Home Systems Page