Next Cornscala Upgrade?

Nailbender

My tinkering is getting the best of me. While my Blueberry is getting repaired I thought I might upgrade the mid driver or crossover on my Cornscalas. My current system is a VRD amp with a JuicyMusic Blueberry Extreme II
pre. Sources are a Jolida JD-100A and a Sony Tuner. I built these
Cornscalas myself out of birch plywood with all of Bob's components originally. I'll be building new cabinets this spring. Right now they are equipped with
a Crites woofer/tweeter and an Atlas PD-5VH mid with a Fastrac horn. My
crossover is a universal pattern built by Dave if I remember correctly.I am thinking an ALK AP12-500 & ES5800 networks, but if I upgrade the mid driver, I don't want to replace it again. I've even contemplated an Altec 902-16 mid driver. Would this adapt to my current crossover? I'm a simple man... technical graphs and charts not my cup of tea... Thoughts on which is my best course of action for audio bliss? Thanks for any help in advance.

Guest David H

The AP-500 and ES-5800 would be perfect for a Cornscala with an Altec 902-16.

Are you going to build a split box Cornscala? I ask because the box will need to be deeper to accomodate the Larger driver and round to square adapter.

Dave

Guest David H

Do you currently have an Altec 902?

I am currently putting together all of the parts to build a 2-way Cornscala Johnny5 suggested, using my Eliptrac horns, Faital Pro HF-200 drivers, Crites stamped 15 woofer and ALK AP12-500 crossovers. Because it is 2-way, there is no additional expense for the tweeter or HF crossover.

If you already have the Altec drivers I would say continue on with what you have, I have not hear the Altec's personally but have always heard good things about them. If you need to purchase Altec's I would contact Bob Crites and get a price on the Faital Pro before you make a decision.

I dont know the depth of the Altec, but the Contour adapter will add an additional .75 inches.

Dave

Guest David H

This would require a new 2" tractix horn, expensive driver and new crossovers.

Yes it would require 2" horn , but the drivers and crossovers are not all that pricey.

Seems uneeded but is it better sounding? I guess it would be time aligned.

Considering the depth of the horn and driver vs: the depth of the woofer, time alignment between the woofer and mid would be close, I'll have to take some measurements, although I am not sure how critical time alignment is with the woofer to mid, I would think mid to hf is more critical.

Dave