foam for bass traps?

chef73

I have tested the bass response by using my spl meter and walking around the room including the cornres to see if the reading was higher closer to the corners. The meter was reading about 6 to 10 db higher in the front of the room in general(by the screen and the corners mostly). I put some foam(mostly packing of all different sizes and thickness)on the walls and corners in different spots but the meter did not drop at all is it the type of foam i am using the placement or just foam in general. I am looking for a way to get that reading down about 5 db or so any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_11_2&products_id=55

I use Ready Acoustics traps. I just bought the bags and then bought the Corning fiberglass panels separately to save a few bucks. If you have a seamstress in the house, the bags could be made into triangular panels to fit in the corners where the ceiling and the walls intersect. These are the max-absortion points, and I'd start with that point. However, note that these traps (or just about any bass traps) will affect mid-bass frequencies only...~150-500 Hz.

What kind of speakers do you have...? (A rhetorical question...) I'd recommend a good parametric EQ unit to reduce a wide-band of frequencies - you'll probably save money in the end.

I am looking for a way to get that reading down about 5 db

At what frequencies?

The meter was reading about 6 to 10 db higher in the front of the room in general(by the screen and the corners mostly).

This sounds like you are sitting closer to the front of the room than the back...is that true? What are the dimensions of your room, and where are you sitting in relation to the front of the room (in feet/meters in all three dimensions).

Chris